Fickle Cressi Big Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a BIG EYES mask for several years and have been very happy with it. I do deal with the usual mustach leakage problem, but that's normal and very minimal.

I have had leakage around the eyes on a rare occation, but minor adjustments fix that problem quickly, even underwater. It does seem like strap positioning is more critical with this mask than with others, but having been through A LOT of masks in the past, this is my favorite.

Can't help on the snorkel issue since I don't use it to dive. Tightening my mask did help when I used it with a snorkel but it still had a sslllllooow leak.

As for position on the head. I put mine at about the base of the back of my skull. Doesn't slip up or down and doesn't leak. Also stops the bottom of my nose from hurting.

Like the original poster, mine too leaks when switching from hood to no hood - I find the mask is very fickle about the amount of tension in the strap. But when it's good, it's gooooooooood. Have tried my wife's Matrix which I like even more, but the field of view compared to more traditional masks is fantastic.

Scubaroo:
Like the original poster, mine too leaks when switching from hood to no hood - I find the mask is very fickle about the amount of tension in the strap. But when it's good, it's gooooooooood. Have tried my wife's Matrix which I like even more, but the field of view compared to more traditional masks is fantastic.

yeah, I wish the Rx lenses for Matrix wouldn't have been so much!! I guess I'll have to plan wide, blunt trauma onto the back of my head so it's nice and flat for the next dive's strap settings.

I have a couple of Matrixes (or should that be Matrices?) and get on quite well with them. They don't seem to last for long though. Admittedly, that could be something to do with how I look after them (read the signature!). They work just fine for a month and then start to leak more and more. Shaving helps but doesn't stop it and this leak is starting to interfere with my bubble ring practice! The field of vision is great and I'm not too bothered by a bit of water getting in so no biggie, I'll stick with them. I do miss my Tusa Splendive IVs though, call me strange but I just found them comfortable and virtually leakproof on my face!

I dont have the big eyes but I am just curious about something. Do you guys set the strap length and leave it at that? Because the way you guys talk about it is is such a hassle to adjust the strap when you change hood or something.

I adjust the strap all the time. I leave it at its loosest to put it around my neck then put it on my face and pull it tight. During the dive I sometimes make it tighter or looser. At the end of the dive I let the straps loose and put it back around my neck.

Just curious

partridge:
I dont have the big eyes but I am just curious about something. Do you guys set the strap length and leave it at that? Because the way you guys talk about it is is such a hassle to adjust the strap when you change hood or something.

I adjust the strap all the time. I leave it at its loosest to put it around my neck then put it on my face and pull it tight. During the dive I sometimes make it tighter or looser. At the end of the dive I let the straps loose and put it back around my neck.
Just curious

I am definately looking for THE adjustment and trying to stick with it. It has been such a pain that I am considering moving back to the original strap (from my nylon), so I can count the notches again, and have a mental memo when accidentally changing the adjustments. With the nylon I am planning to use marker for the main adjustments I use (hooded w/ and w/o snorkel). In the shore entry especially there is noway I am playing around in the chops with my 5mm kevlar gloves too many times to correct the setting.

I had the same problem and found it very fickle. The hood was definitely an issue, and it would only be leak-free when it was adjusted just so. So, it leaked on me darn near every dive.

I got a Mares X-Vision, which never leaks and fits like a glove. It also has a wider field of vision than the Big Eyes based on tests by me and my brother. Finally found my perfect mask. Hope you find yours too! :)

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I got a Mares X-Vision, which never leaks and fits like a glove. It also has a wider field of vision than the Big Eyes based on tests by me and my brother. Finally found my perfect mask. Hope you find yours too! :)
Sweet thanks for the tip! (BTW - Your name is funny! Say that ten times.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom