Fiesta Americana Hotel...any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the FA in January 2004 & LOVED it. Wonderful service, and Dive With Martin picked us up at the pier. You couldn't get any more convenient that that!
We ate at the specialty retaurant all week, and found out later that with the AI option, you were only supposed to eat there once. The staff didn't seem to mind or really count - and the food was much better there than at the buffet.

If you aren't going AI, the food is very pricy. Lunches ran about $50 US for 2 people, dinners were around $60-70. The AI made it totally affordable.

Last year we stayed at the Park Royal and were not too happy with it. Now I'm reading that they have turned it into a 5* resort..... anyone been here since they have made the changes???

Scuba Sweetie:
We stayed at the FA in January 2004 & LOVED it. Wonderful service, and Dive With Martin picked us up at the pier. You couldn't get any more convenient that that!
We ate at the specialty retaurant all week, and found out later that with the AI option, you were only supposed to eat there once. The staff didn't seem to mind or really count - and the food was much better there than at the buffet.

If you aren't going AI, the food is very pricy. Lunches ran about $50 US for 2 people, dinners were around $60-70. The AI made it totally affordable.

Last year we stayed at the Park Royal and were not too happy with it. Now I'm reading that they have turned it into a 5* resort..... anyone been here since they have made the changes???

The Park Royal has not reopened yet. There is still alot of work to be done from what I saw last week. I think it's reopening is scheduled for Sept or Oct this year.

scubawife:
The Park Royal has not reopened yet. There is still alot of work to be done from what I saw last week. I think it's reopening is scheduled for Sept or Oct this year.

That's pretty ambitious. When I was there last month it was a concrete skeleton of a building.

Scuba Sweetie:

Geez, I dont know what your having for lunch but I have never spent anywhere close to $50 for lunch there in over 5 years. IMO there is just way too many great places to eat on the island to go AI at ANY facility.

Several reasons we stay in the Casita Suites. 1) Continental Breakfast included in room. 2) Back side of the hotel so its very quiet and never deal with the pool/bar noise in the evening. 3) No ocean view is not an issue for us since were all the water all morning and around the pool all afternoon. We get plenty of ocean view.......lol. 4). Room and bath room are larger with sitting room and hammock on balcony.

Stayed at FA in April '05. Dive House had great service and alway went to requested spots. My non-diving wife did not care for FA. Next year we're going to try Iberostar, which is further south. The AI was the way to go.

Yes, $50 is crazy for lunch, but that's what the FA would charge if you weren't on the AI plan. Overinflated ? Definitely. But, since it is further from town, it can be a bit much to taxi in for every meal.

The only reason we even stayed at FA was because we got a great last minute deal. Now it would cost us 3x the amount to go, so we're going to have to look elsewhere :(

Check the Apple Vacations website. They generally have some great deals at the FA. LOTS less than on the FA site. They are currently showing air plus a casita suite at the FA, all inclusive, for about $1300/person from Detroit, departing next Saturday. In July, it's about $1000. Diving is not included.

Scuba Sweetie:
Yes, $50 is crazy for lunch, but that's what the FA would charge if you weren't on the AI plan. Overinflated ? Definitely. But, since it is further from town, it can be a bit much to taxi in for every meal.

The only reason we even stayed at FA was because we got a great last minute deal. Now it would cost us 3x the amount to go, so we're going to have to look elsewhere :(

When we book our Casita Suite, it costs us about $125/night which includes tips for luggage and breakfast. Our typical lunch consisted of chips and casadias(sp) with extra guac and chips with several drinks. Cost....about $40 which includes 4 pepsi lights at $5/ea.. You might try booking with another agent just to check. We have about 25 wonderful rest we must frequent so we stay busy........lol. Coz is not very expensive to eat if you stay off the beaten path and stay away from tourist locales. Dont get me wrong, we love LaChoza, Fahitas and Wahoo steaks off the menu are out of this world for $10, and we usually make two trips to Prima for Lobster. 1/2lb tail with fresh veggies, pasta of your choice, homemade bread....$22. Key Lime pie that can not be duplicated!! Its worth the trip by itself.....lol.

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies! I think I've chosen FA for my trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom