Fiji Island Dancer Liveaboard, Resorts in Suva

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glimmertwins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a trip in April aboard the Fiji Island Dancer. Does anyone have input about this boat? I've taken an Aggressor before, but that was to Belize. The ship goes to sites around Namena, Wakaya, Makongi, Gau, and Makongi Island. Any thoughts on currents? I don't mind drift dives, but I don't want to be fighting and struggling either. What is the vis, weather and water temps like in April? I'm considering coming down several days early to acclimate. The boat leaves from Suva, so to make it easy on myself I'm planning on staying in that general area. Any suggestions for places to stay on the island? Doesn't have to be a dive resorts. Any insight you could provide would be great! Thanks.

I would look at the Nai'a liveaboard over the Fiji Dancer. I have read nothing but mediocre to poor reports on the Dancer while the Nai'a is world renown.

Island Dancer is not a big boat. It isn't a big expansive impressive motor yacht like some of the other Aggressors or Dancers. However it has small groups and will allow you to dive the very best dive sites of Fiji. So too does Naia and The Fiji Siren. So at least by focussing on liveaboards you are guaranteeing yourself some awesome diving. There are some currents there but i haven't experienced anything too bad. Some nice drift dives where you can cover quite a lot of ground. No need to fight the current. Plenty of sharks and some gorgeous colourful reefs.

We also advise customers to add on, if they can, the shark diving at Pacific Harbour since that can be quite an experience, if the thought of feeding doesn't trouble you too much. Fiji has done a lot more to protect their shark populations than many other countries. Better they feed a few of them than kill them, I say. Sounds like you could have a few days in Pacific Harbour before making your way to Suva. That's a good plan in fact.

Below is what we say on this page about the Fiji dive season
[h=2]Diving Season[/h] The dive season is all year round. The winter months of April to October represent the main season for scuba diving in Fiji in terms of diver numbers, although the visibility tends to peak between the months of July and December when the water is cooler (sometimes, although seldom as cool as 22°C). 25°C is a realistic expectation of water temperatures during this period. It can cool enough in this period to reduce plankton activity sufficiently for the visibility to rise to impressive distances, sometimes exceeding 50m.
November to April are in fact Fiji's summertime and when the seas are at their warmest - around 28 to 30°C. This is also rainy season and December to March carries a greater risk of cyclones. Run-off from Fiji's rivers can reduce the otherwise excellent visibility, particularly on dive sites off the coast of Viti Levu.

For comfort and protection, many choose to dive with a 5mm full length wetsuit during winter months from May to October, and a 3mm full length or shortie during summer months from November to April.

The transition months, where the seasons cross-over are often considered ideal times to visit. They are November, April and May. Things also vary from place to place within Fiji. Morning showers in the highlands of Viti Levu are quite common at any time of the year. Bligh Water's excellent visibility is seldom reduced significantly even during wet season. Plankton blooms, particularly in rainy season can attract larger creatures such as plankton-feeding whales and manta rays.

If you need any more please let me know.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom