Filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a recent dive trip, one of the divemasters suggested a red filter for our underwater camera in order to return the colors to 'normal'. I forget the specific model, but the camera is a point-and-shoot Olympus 4MP camera in an Olympus housing. I usually shoot without the flash since it's the built-in flash and thus results in a ton of backscatter. I only use it at night.

Is this filter what I need?

teknitroxdiver:
On a recent dive trip, one of the divemasters suggested a red filter for our underwater camera in order to return the colors to 'normal'. I forget the specific model, but the camera is a point-and-shoot Olympus 4MP camera in an Olympus housing. I usually shoot without the flash since it's the built-in flash and thus results in a ton of backscatter. I only use it at night.

The best way to bring color into your shots underwater is through use of an external strobe. However, those can be pricey. If you're not willing to make that investment, there are a couple different ways to approach your options.

The first is using a color correcting red filter. It does work to some extent.

However, if your Oly has manual white balance (and most of their models do), I'd recommend using that feature. While you need to adjust it as you make depth changes, you can have the greatest success I believe with that technique rather than the red filter. Take down a gray card (I believe the standard for white balance is 15% black) and set the balance against that periodically.

BurBunny:
The best way to bring color into your shots underwater is through use of an external strobe. However, those can be pricey. If you're not willing to make that investment, there are a couple different ways to approach your options.

The first is using a color correcting red filter. It does work to some extent.

However, if your Oly has manual white balance (and most of their models do), I'd recommend using that feature. While you need to adjust it as you make depth changes, you can have the greatest success I believe with that technique rather than the red filter. Take down a gray card (I believe the standard for white balance is 15% black) and set the balance against that periodically.

I was advised to set my white balance using a white slate , is this wrong :06:

The white slate is just easier to use, because most of us have one around.

I tried a color correcting filter with my Sony and hated it. It's plastic so it got scratched. It increased my exposures by nearly two stops and that orange color is worse to deal with than blues and greens. If you alternate between using the flash and not on different subjects, then you have to remember to remove the filter.

White balance checking, at depth, is a better way to go. Another quick method is to use a programmed white balance setting in your camera's setup menu like the one for fluorescent lights. Just remember this could cause trouble if you alternate between using the flash or not. However, this will be less trouble than leaving the color compensating filter on your camera.

In PhotoShop Elements one of the color correcting routines asks you to pick a white or black portion of your picture so the software can balance the color. I don't think this is in CS.

Finally, if you can't get decent color balance in an otherwise interesting picture, try converting it to a black & white image.

teknitroxdiver:

Do you have the stylus 400 or 410?...If I remember right they don't have manual white balance.

The flash is good for distances under 3 feet, for greater distances you will get blue in blue pictures.

Using photo software (i.e. Photoshop) you can get rid of some backscatter and you can touch up the colors pretty good. Takes some practice, but often worth it. Also converting you pics to B&W's might be something you should try.

gert7to3:
In PhotoShop Elements one of the color correcting routines asks you to pick a white or black portion of your picture so the software can balance the color. I don't think this is in CS.

If you shoot in Raw, the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) converter does have a white balance eyedropper similar to what is in PS Elements 3. However, it's far more powerful.

I don't think the 4MP Olys have Raw as an option on them - think that started with the 5050s and other 5MP cameras...though I could be mistaken :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom