Fin Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleHall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys/Gals..
Not Cave certified, but very interested and I'm hoping to get my Cavern/Basic Cave by the end of summer. I have a fin question.. Watching all the documentaries, shows, movies, etc that include cave diving, the majority of the fins you see used are the ScubaPro Jetfins (or ones that look very similar to them) Of course, with me being in GA and most of my dives being in the N. FL Springs, I'm right in the heart of Dive Rite Country, so those are pretty common place around here also.

I'm not going to post the normal "Which is best" because I know everyone has an opinion on everything, so I my question is, what fins do you use for cave diving and why?:huh:
Thanks,

Just cavern certified at the moment, but I love my Jetfins. They provide plenty of power, are not too big and I have a set that I have had for 18 years now with no problems. They are very tough and are simple to control. Just my opinion, YMMV

Chris

I second the Jets. Aqualung made something similar to them but I forget the name. Turtles I think.

I third the Jets. Mine are actually my father's old fins about 25 years old. Recently I had one of the foot pockets tear. So this summer I think I'm gonna pick up the OMS style jets. They are the same fin, made out of a different material which is much lighter.

DaleHall:
I'm not going to post the normal "Which is best" because I know everyone has an opinion on everything, so I my question is, what fins do you use for cave diving and why?:huh:
Thanks,

I use Scubapro Jetfins (aka Jet fins) for my cave diving and other diving too because they are best for frog- and back kicking of the fins I've tried. (I've also tried IDI frog foot fins, Tusa X-pert Zooms and Force fin Pros, but I prefer the jets). Most cave divers use the frogkick to minimize silt.

I use Jets. I originally got them because they are negative, and I was fighting with floaty feet, but the precision control that I experienced with them sold me immediately. They are short, so they are nice in tighter areas as well.

I have heard more than one experienced cave diver praise the DiveRite fins for big cave, though I have never tried them.

The jet fins are the most popular,but may not always be the best choice. The jet fin doesn't provide you the most optimal frog kick due the short blade length,but does a good job for shuffle/modified flutter kick. Regular power fins are good for current where an efficient frog kick can be beneficial,but length can prove to be a problem in small cave. The jet fin is very heavy which may not be the best choice of someone diving 104s with a wet suit. Actually one of the best fins made was the Dacor turbo fins since it combined all the positives such as light weight,rigid,and short. Personally I'd wait until you take the class,and try what you have,and see what your instructor recommends. PS Hello from a fellow Georgian that isn't too far from Warner Robins (I'm in the tornado ravaged Americus)

I use XXL Jets in my drysuit and XL OMS Slipstreams (lightweight Jet fin clones) when I'm diving wet.

Thanks Everyone for the answers.. I didn't know OMS had any like that, but I went and searched and saw the Slipstreams after reading about them here.. I think I'll do what karstdvr suggested and take the course with the fins I presently own and see from there.. As always the information and opinions gathered here are awesome!!! Thanks again.. :D

karstdvr, Hope everything is ok down there. Those storms passed directly to the North and the South of of us. Macon and Perry both got hit pretty hard, but all we received was some hard rain and couple of decent sized gusts. So, we were lucky.

DaleHall:
Thanks Everyone for the answers.. I didn't know OMS had any like that, but I went and searched and saw the Slipstreams after reading about them here.. I think I'll do what karstdvr suggested and take the course with the fins I presently own and see from there.. As always the information and opinions gathered here are awesome!!! Thanks again.. :D

karstdvr, Hope everything is ok down there. Those storms passed directly to the North and the South of of us. Macon and Perry both got hit pretty hard, but all we received was some hard rain and couple of decent sized gusts. So, we were lucky.

I sent you a PM

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom