final trip report Utila..arrgggghhh im back home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hm:Not replying to your post but rather the original poster and his comments regarding fear mongering by the media and how pleasant of a time he had in Utila.

Hi all,

I'll be in Utila next month, just trying to decide myself on where to stay...
Captain Morgan's on the Keys seems really nice, but my buddy's a bit scared they might stick around south-west area of the island for the dive trips and not go to more remote spots, north and east.
Utila doesn't seem that big and I'm sure they have fast boats so I'm not worried, but just to make sure, what's your own dive experience with CM's ? Didi you move around a bit or mostly did SW ?
Thanks in advance :wink:
Captn Morgans actual dive center literally sits at the beginning of North Side...so almost all of your dives will be there. All the diving is great but personally i prefer the North over the South and East sides. The Captain Morgan's in Utila town is basically only an office where you will pay etc...they do have lodging available in town but you will still have to hop on the Morgan's boat and head out to the Cays to pick up those staying at Kayla before you begin the days dives. Hotel Kayla sits out on the cays and is where the actual operation is located. the hotel is just a few steps from the dock. Food is cheaper on the Cays and its much more of a laid back atmosphere but the Salva is still cold and the people still great...if u decide you want to visit some of the bars etc. on utila...just arrange to ride back into town with the Morgan's boat and find a cheap place to spend the night...u can grab a room at cross creek for around 8 bucks USD...get up the next morning, jump on the boat and head back to Morgan's and the days dives. Ive dove with several outfits there but Morgan's was the only boat I was on the employed the backward roll entry. The boat is a little tight quartered but completely passable and if u feel cramped u can always stand at the stern or go sit up front on the bow. Generally instead of backward roll, i just tossed in my tank and BC and took a stride off the back and geared up in the water which is basically like gearing up in a pool the water was so calm. I have some pics from morgans in my albums..check em out.

:hm:Not replying to your post but rather the original poster and his comments regarding fear mongering by the media and how pleasant of a time he had in Utila.

:D Sorry, my mistake

@ Robertcrockett : Thanks a bunch mate !! I'll definitely check out Morgan's and try to stay at Kayla's if possible... My buddy's aiming to take the AOW course with them, I'll be more focused on learning how to use my UW camera.
That villa you stayed at on Little Caye is gorgeous, I wish I had the money to spend a few days there... 100 bucks a night per person is a bit too much for me, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever go back there, no doubt about that :wink:
Just one more thing : I don't travel with my own gear except mask+fins, I suppose CM have stuff for rent, do you remember how much it is approximately ?

Yup Morgans's has all gear avail...I pack my own gear so I'm not sure of the rental rates which may just be included in the dive pricing. As for little cay... It was 100.00/night for up to 6 people so with a full group only a little over 16 bucks USD a night!!! Regardless of where u stay and I stayed at Morgan's, Little Cay, Laguna Beach and CrossCreek your going to have a blast! I would be jealous if I wasn't heading back myself in a few months :wink:

I was bored so I checked for ya. Dive gear is included with fun dives and courses...

As for little cay... It was 100.00/night for up to 6 people so with a full group only a little over 16 bucks USD a night!!!...
:banana:
Holy cow !! That's a bargain ! If only I could gather a few more friends...

I was bored so I checked for ya. Dive gear is included with fun dives and courses...

Thanks again, Captain Morgan's it's gonna be :)

Great Trip Report

I was in Utila the same time as you - August 2009 and I did my OW and AOW at BICD and had a great time - loved their boat.
I am heading back for just under a month arriving Utila 26th Jan 2010 and I can't decide whether to stay at Rubi's which is familiar to me and dive with Captain Morgans who have given me a great rate for upfront payment of 30 fun dives ....

OR

Stay out on the Captain Morgan Hotel on the Cay

Whaddyareckon? I am also torn because BICD has a great huge boat that I love and the captains are great - being very tall and bulky the space is cool to have on their dive boat - but they are a good bit more expensive.

I am in my late forties and didn't really partake of the heavy bar and partying scene when I was there in the summer and I reckon three weeks on the Cay might be just the ticket.

Any advice? I sent you a facebook 'add' !

Chat soon!

Awesome Report. I was on the fence between Ro and Utila but you have convinced me. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom