Finally, a great dive snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

between my girlfriend and I we own 5 Aqualung Impuse flex 3 snorkles. I have used a fair few brands and id reccommend this one to everyone! they are not restrictive, easy to clear and stay very dry for a semi dry! please do try it you will not regret it!

between my girlfriend and I we own 5 Aqualung Impuse flex 3 snorkles. I have used a fair few brands and id reccommend this one to everyone! they are not restrictive, easy to clear and stay very dry for a semi dry! please do try it you will not regret it!

I ordered a nice yellow Impulse 3 Flex from Leisurepro. Will make a report after trying it.

Adam

Back when I first got certified, I didn't like snorkeling because of how difficult it was to clear the older design snorkels; but, then I got one of the first Impulse snorkels and suddenly I enjoyed it as much as scuba. No water got to the mouthpiece when snorkeling in surf, if you did fully submerge it was very easy to clear on the surface, and the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece was very comfortable. I later got an Impulse 2 and it was even better. Since then, I started working for a ScubaPro shop, so I had to switch over to a SP Shotgun snorkel (which is also a very good snorkel); but my favorite is still the USD Impulse.

Back when I first got certified, I didn't like snorkeling because of how difficult it was to clear the older design snorkels; but, then I got one of the first Impulse snorkels and suddenly I enjoyed it as much as scuba. No water got to the mouthpiece when snorkeling in surf, if you did fully submerge it was very easy to clear on the surface, and the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece was very comfortable. I later got an Impulse 2 and it was even better. Since then, I started working for a ScubaPro shop, so I had to switch over to a SP Shotgun snorkel (which is also a very good snorkel); but my favorite is still the USD Impulse.

I considered the Impulse 2 but the shape does not look very streamlined for scuba, so I'm hoping the 3 will be good.

I was diving for years without a snorkel until a few weeks ago had to swim on my back in heavy seas in Laguna Beach and I was forced to breathe off my reg. First the reg breathes hard above water and secondly I used up over 400 psi of air. So now when shore diving at least, I plan to take a snorkel.

Adam

I considered the Impulse 2 but the shape does not look very streamlined for scuba, so I'm hoping the 3 will be good.

I was diving for years without a snorkel until a few weeks ago had to swim on my back in heavy seas in Laguna Beach and I was forced to breathe off my reg. First the reg breathes hard above water and secondly I used up over 400 psi of air. So now when shore diving at least, I plan to take a snorkel.

Adam

With the original Impulse and Impulse 2, when swimming quickly underwater, you could feel the top of the snorkel moving back and forth due to resistance. I never tried the 3, but it does look like it would be less prone to this. The SP Shotgun is nice and compact and doesn't move while underwater.

I ordered a nice yellow Impulse 3 Flex from Leisurepro. Will make a report after trying it.

Adam

Oh awesome that's where I got all mine too, all but 2 sorry.. In Australia they cost $100.00 per snorkle.. Yeah no joke an absoulte rip off!! I look forward to your reveiw.

I have a black/red TUSA Platina, and a black/yellow flex as well as red rigid AL Impulse 3. They all have their purposes. The AL comfofit mouthpiece same as my Reg is very comfortable for me. I tend to clench my teeth sometimes when freediving, so the comfofit solves the sore jaw or gum problem. The TUSA is also comfortable and low profile for kelp diving. The TUSA looks better. The AL's are monsters. The AL has a large bore for fresh air and unrestricted breathing which is good for working out as well as breathing up. All are relatively dry, easy to clear the water from and minimize water breaking overhead from entering. Whatever works the best for someone and is the most comfortable is what counts. The AL flex does oscillate.

I've now have had a chance to try the Aqualung Impulse 3 Flex and am quite pleased with it. I use the snorkel for surface swimming on my back in S. Cal waters, which can be rough at times, so I need lots of air. It really does not bother me much when diving and it's good to get used to diving with the snorkel attached.

Adam

Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is what I came across when researching snorkels so I think it would be beneficial for the next person searching to have the most accurate information.

I handled both the Platina and Nexus in my LDS today and while I can confidently say that the semi-dry insert at the tops of the snorkels are identical and that the snorkels have a similar physical appearance, they are definitely not the same snorkel. The Scubapro was about 1” longer than the Tusa and it did feel like it was made with higher grade materials — they were definitely not made of the same plastics/rubbers/silicones. I’m sure the Tusa is a fine snorkel but if I were buying something I’d hope to last 20 years, I’d go with the Nexus.

I handled the Aqualung Impulse 3 as well. It’s a big/heavy snorkel, definitely a more classic design with its hard plastic tube. I’d personally prefer one of the bendy options just because I don’t think there are any downsides, but they can be stuffed into a bc pocket if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom