Finally, a great dive snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to try Sea Elite's dry snorkel. It's 99% dry. I use one and can attest to how well it works.

So...does anyone know of any other brands? I'm wondering if Tusa did create the snorkel, but then licensed out the technology (or simply fabricated the snorkel for) scubapro. So far Tusa and Scubapro are the only brands referenced here (the genesis surf is not even close to being the same snorkel.)

The snorkel below is made in China and marketed, in this case, by Hangzhou Ocean Master Utility Knives Co., Ltd.
203987934.jpg

Snorkel S67 snorkel TW products
Could it be the prototype for the Tusa Hyperdry II model below:
SP_170.jpg

I also found a patent online for a snorkel resembling the above:
6827083-0-large.jpg

Snorkel - Patent 6827083
Hope this helps.

The snorkel below is made in China and marketed, in this case, by Hangzhou Ocean Master Utility Knives Co., Ltd.
203987934.jpg

Snorkel S67 snorkel TW products
Could it be the prototype for the Tusa Hyperdry II model below:
SP_170.jpg

I also found a patent online for a snorkel resembling the above:
6827083-0-large.jpg

Snorkel - Patent 6827083
Hope this helps.

If it's made in China I wonder if it's safe to put in your mouth? Who knows what's in the plastic?

If it's made in China I wonder if it's safe to put in your mouth? Who knows what's in the plastic?

Like everything, it's a matter of trust and vigilance. How do we know that everything made in our own countries is entirely safe? I remember the drug Thalidomide, developed and manufactured in the West and dispensed as a sedative to pregnant women in the West during the 1950s, which resulted in the birth of children with terrible limb deformities.

It's presumably the legal responsibility of the distribution and retailing company outsourcing manufacture to Chinese factories to determine that the products it will sell to the public, emblazoned with its name, are fit for purpose and made according to its specifications. The Chinese government also has a reputation for dealing very harshly with the directors of factories producing goods that turn out to be toxic.

Like everything, it's a matter of trust and vigilance. How do we know that everything made in our own countries is entirely safe? I remember the drug Thalidomide, developed and manufactured in the West and dispensed as a sedative to pregnant women in the West during the 1950s, which resulted in the birth of children with terrible limb deformities.

It's presumably the legal responsibility of the distribution and retailing company outsourcing manufacture to Chinese factories to determine that the products it will sell to the public, emblazoned with its name, are fit for purpose and made according to its specifications. The Chinese government also has a reputation for dealing very harshly with the directors of factories producing goods that turn out to be toxic.

It's true that most things are made in China today, and I'm willing to trust a Chinese product with a trusted brand on it, but not generic no name Chinese products.

Adam

I use a snorkel at times during a surface swim or when just hanging out on the surface and I finally found a great one...the Tusa Platina Hyperdry II. I snorkeled before I started diving (and still snorkel occasionally) and have gone through several snorkels ranging from the no-frills j-shaped, to expensive "fully dry" snorkels...all of which had some problem or another. The Hyperdry II is the first one that I have been completely happy with. Contrary to the Hyperdry's name, it's a semi-dry snorkel. It is low profile, aquadynamically designed, lightweight, has a clip for easy removal from mask (and it folds up), it clears easily, looks cool, breathes well, has a comfortable mouthpiece, and for once the plastic piece on the end of the bore is more than just a splash guard...I would say it reduces flooding by over 50% compared to a typical snorkel. If anyone is looking for a good dive snorkel (or just a good snorkel period) I highly recommend this one.

Is this the same as the TUSA Evolution III Hyperdry snorkel

TUSA Hyperdry Evolution III Semi-Dry Snorkel SP170 with reviews at scuba.com

I use a snorkel at times during a surface swim or when just hanging out on the surface and I finally found a great one...the Tusa Platina Hyperdry II. I snorkeled before I started diving (and still snorkel occasionally) and have gone through several snorkels ranging from the no-frills j-shaped, to expensive "fully dry" snorkels...all of which had some problem or another. The Hyperdry II is the first one that I have been completely happy with. Contrary to the Hyperdry's name, it's a semi-dry snorkel. It is low profile, aquadynamically designed, lightweight, has a clip for easy removal from mask (and it folds up), it clears easily, looks cool, breathes well, has a comfortable mouthpiece, and for once the plastic piece on the end of the bore is more than just a splash guard...I would say it reduces flooding by over 50% compared to a typical snorkel. If anyone is looking for a good dive snorkel (or just a good snorkel period) I highly recommend this one.

Sorry I have to disagree with you. I tried it and it's just too restrictive for scuba swimming and I returned mine. Now I'm back to my trusty big-bore US Divers Aquarius.

Also tried the Oceanic Folding snorkel and also can't use it as it's too restrictive.

I still would like to try the Aqua Lung Impulse 3.

When I'm using a snorkel it's for scuba swimming on my back in seas rough enough that I can't breathe directly through my mouth, and in those conditions I need lots of air.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom