Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman once bubbled...
They had enough tanks, hoses, canisters, lights, snaps, manifolds, and assorted crap that they could hardly move. They looked like they'd escaped from an ICU. They had to be helped into the water and it took two guys to get them back on the boat and untangled. That 7' noose...er, hose caught on everything.
Any more stuff and we'll have to put them in the water like a burial at sea. Slide them off a board.
...but just in case he is not, the situation he describes is highly plausible. I have seen it once or twice myself. Just because someone goes out and buys all the gear doesn't mean they are squared away in its use...maybe they were new to that gear config or maybe they just bought all that crap because someone on the Internet told them to. Regardless, without practice and possibly some training, a DIR/Hogarthian rig can make someone look like a total CF if they use it improperly.

Why were their long hoses catching on stuff? Didn't they have them clipped off when not in use? Did they say they were DIR or were you just making an assumption based on gear? These guys don't sound very DIR to me, its alot more involved than gear.

O-ring once bubbled...
I suspect Lawman is trolling again...

Oh no:wacko: He wouldn't do that.

I am suprised that some of the "DIR or your goin die" crowd hasn't jumped in before realizing, that it's just a troll.

It's the absolute truth. We dove for two days at Tobermory and my regular group had blossomed out in these....piles...of equiptment over the winter. Twin 120s to dive the Niagra at 98'!

They were mostly SSI Dive Cons or Instructors. They are good and skillful divers except they had just too much DIR stuff on.
As to whether they were DIR, yes they had all had the training.
Besides, if it wears wings like a duck, has double tanks like a duck, a 7' hose and a bungeed octopus, and a huge light canister with a zillion power light attached I think we can assume it's a
DIR Duck.

They reminded me of Medieval Knights getting into their armor. They needed a squire just to hook up all the hoses and clips.
You don't need to dress and equipt yourself like an astronaught to fly a Piper Cub.

:wacko:

Lawman once bubbled...
It's the absolute truth. We dove for two days at Tobermory and my regular group had blossomed out in these....piles...of equiptment over the winter. Twin 120s to dive the Niagra at 98'!

They were mostly SSI Dive Cons or Instructors. They are good and skillful divers except they had just too much DIR stuff on.
:wacko:

You really don't get it, do you? It's not the equipment, and these guys weren't DIR. If you don't want to be DIR, that's fine, but don't talk $#% about something you obviously know little about.

Lawman once bubbled...

As to whether they were DIR, yes they had all had the training.
Besides, if it wears wings like a duck, has double tanks like a duck, a 7' hose and a bungeed octopus, and a huge light canister with a zillion power light attached I think we can assume it's a
DIR Duck.

Just because they can go out and buy the gear and read a few DIR articles to make them THINK they are DIR, doesn't make them DIR.

...and if someone has an expensive suit and matching shoes, belt, and briefcase, he must be a lawyer.

Lawmans rule: you are what you wear!

Equipment is a part of DIR, the proper usage of said equipment, is another part.

I find your stereotyping quite humorous; totally off base and inaccurate, but funny in a preposterous kind of way!

photo of you in your rig so that we may all see what a PROPERLY configured diver wears...

C'mon...we are anxiously awaiting to see what you regard as good "equipTment"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom