Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the DIR people,

I am not DIR, not even close! I can understand the confusion, but (in the language of one of my favorite hockey teams), NYET.

Yes, getting into my doubles required some work. There are more hoses and such to route from two tanks. I never used Argon. Neither did anyone else. I did use a forty cubic foot pony filled with EAN50 as a stage bottle. I don't have the money for a canister light yet, so not quite yet. I did have extra gear in the form of a camera and my back-up depth/ SPG console. That is not DIR. But it wouldn't take the "Jaws of Life" to get me out. Once I sat down, I could be standing back up sans dual 100's within a minute or two fairly easily. Getting in and getting my hoses routed correctly did take about 10 minutes or so from when I started.

The rest of the "doubles" divers, Chris, the "Bumblebee Tims", and Dr. Jesse do have canister lights. Other than that, their gear configuration (at least as far as hose routing) is nearly identical to mine. (Ok, I will confess that the extra Cobra console is unique to me as well, that is my back-up dive computer). The two Tims and Jesse are the most experienced of that group in diving doubles and Jesse was our instructor. Yes, they are picky about making sure that their hoses are routed correctly. I am myself and will be more so when I get more experience. Then, I will know exactly where I want everything on my rig.

The doubles seem like a pain in the you-know-where for the Arabia and Forest City until you consider that 1) freeflows are common on both wrecks and they are exponentially easier to isolate in doubles, and 2) I wasn't about to become the next victim of either wreck. I wanted the piece of mind of using a rig that would maximum redundancy because of the mystique of that wreck. Also, I set up my rig once. Then I was good for both dives that morning on the Arabia and all four dives on the day that we did the Forest City without changing tanks or rigs.

We did see some people getting on the Deep Obsession Saturday. Their rigs were all IDENTICAL. They did have Argon, but they were diving the Lady Dufferin. I imagine that they needed it as I would think that they were using Tri-Mix. With roughly fifteen-twenty sets of doubles on that boat I wouldn't want to be on that boat trying to gear up. But they looked pretty streamlined from where I was sitting on the Bruce Isles.

I know who this is. He told me on the boat that he only had one post though. :) He is a great guy, just make sure to shine some light under the bridge (If you know what I mean.).

And NO, I do not have DIR training. Someone is confusing training systems here. I do have training in using doubles as did all of us, but not that system.

Our hoses were only getting tangled when initially getting geared up. Once that they were on, they were streamlined enough to not catch on anything. The only thing that isn't clipped off is my long hose. It is either in my mouth, being handed off, or off to my side when doing valve shut-downs.

If the Flint shop isn't into DIR (I didn't know that), I can't even think of a DIR shop in the local area. All ours sells is DiveRite for technical gear and "traditional" gear.

So, let me get this straight, DIR is great, unless someone finds a flaw, then it's not DIR, because their DIR is not your DIR.

So, the only way to be truly DIR is to dive the way you do. Anyone else's set up won't be DIR, because what is Doing It Right for them would not be DIR for you.

Ergo, everyone who is diving with their gear set up the way they like it is DIR!

:D Ta-daaah!!!:D

TJ brings up. With the Beverly Hills gang and their level of diving vrs. Joe Blow that takes the Fundy and maybe I and II.....at what point does he loose his stokeness and become DIR dude....(or Dudette, as the case may be)....

Increasing safety through changing diving gear and habits is my take of DIR's goal in their outreach through DIRF. I feel Lawman may have stepped on some pups toes...(PUPS as in new to DIR) and maybe brought to light how some veiw that setup.

Personally I think knowing your gear is far more important than the gear configuration you wear....along with excellent bouyancy control and buddy awareness.

tony

Lawman once bubbled...
It's the absolute truth.

They are good and skillful divers except they had just too much DIR stuff on.
As to whether they were DIR, yes they had all had the training.
Besides, if it wears wings like a duck, has double tanks like a duck, a 7' hose and a bungeed octopus, and a huge light canister with a zillion power light attached I think we can assume it's a
DIR Duck.

So...in the world according to Lawman...double tanks/longhose/bungeed (sic.) octopus (sic.) and cannister light equals "DIR" gear.

Got it...

You hear that all you BWOD divers...you're DIR too!:eek:

So Lawman, I'm trying to figure out where all these "extra" hoses are? Set of doubles...one hose primary, one hose backup, one hose SPG, one hose DS inflator (if using) one hose BC inflator...hmm...looks the same as my single set-up. Perhaps it's the can light? I know, having a light attached to your hand and not dangling just might be a bit too much...and wow...who'd of ever thought you could communicate with your buddy just using a beam of light...crazy stuff to be sure!

A bunch of snotty newbies!!!

If this is what DIR does to you they can keep it.:upset:

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

Oh no:wacko: He wouldn't do that.

I am suprised that some of the "DIR or your goin die" crowd hasn't jumped in before realizing, that it's just a troll.

Some things are obvious.

JeffAustin once bubbled...
...and if someone has an expensive suit and matching shoes, belt, and briefcase, he must be a lawyer.

Lawmans rule: you are what you wear!

Cornfed's rule: Lawman is dumb.

Ahh....the wonderous ways of the LAWMAN....

errr...should I say....
King Troll....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom