Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you read about this here?

Yes - much appreciate @jonhall and the detailed info/metrics in his awesome spreadsheet.

Am seeking some first-hand accounts (pro/con) about the op. There seems to be maybe 5 or so ops that receive the most discussion here, and Scuba Du does not appear to be one of them.

Thanks!

Hi guys - hoping for some insights please

May I please get some insights on Scuba Du? Wife and I will be at Presidente in March and, for the obvious reasons, they seem to be the most convenient. I also like the fact that they do some lionfish hunting trips, potentially at the southern sites.

It seems like SB is pretty sparse when it comes to info on the op, aside from a trip report and some info on possibly one of their boats detonating :)

Thanks!
I thought Lion Fish hunts was PROHIBITED in marine park (South sites). They were always PROHIBITED but are now cracking down on it.

They are a typical resort OP. Set dive schedule, bottom times....and large boats with multiple groups on dive.

May I please get some insights on Scuba Du? Wife and I will be at Presidente in March and, for the obvious reasons, they seem to be the most convenient. I also like the fact that they do some lionfish hunting trips, potentially at the southern sites.
I am pretty sure that tourist divers are not allowed to hunt and kill lionfish (or anything else) in the marine park.

Yes - much appreciate @jonhall and the detailed info/metrics in his awesome spreadsheet.

Am seeking some first-hand accounts (pro/con) about the op. There seems to be maybe 5 or so ops that receive the most discussion here, and Scuba Du does not appear to be one of them.

Thanks!
I have no direct experience with that dive op, but we've stayed at the El Prez several times (love the hotel very much), and watched them (Scuba Du) come and go. As I recall, their boat looked huge (that is NOT a good sign: giant boat usually means too many divers in the water with you, ie a "cattle boat"...you do not want that). Honestly, I've never really heard much about this dive op one way or another, certainly there's no frequent praise or rabid following here. AFAICT, it's just your standard resort operation (which is to say, maybe adequate, but probably not outstanding).

I think what generally passes for wisdom/learned experience from members here is, regardless of where you are staying, just pick a great operator (that usually means ignoring the hotel's dive op). We always dive with Jeremy and his boutique dive op "Living Underwater." Have been using them for years, they're awesome.

Unless something has changed (and I doubt it has), your dive op of choice can just stop by the hotel's dock to pick you up/drop you off every day, it's no big deal for them, and super-convenient for you. That's what we've always done, it's a non-issue. It's a common expectation at almost every hotel that divers use their favorite op, you do NOT need to use the hotel's house op (only a few actively work against their guests and independent dive operators, shame on them).

You've picked a lovely hotel. Why not pick a great dive op, too? Just my 2 pesos.

I am pretty sure that tourist divers are not allowed to hunt and kill lionfish (or anything else) in the marine park.
I dove with Tres Pelicanos last May (May 2022) and was not able to hunt any lionfish because we were always in the Marine Park....

I dove with Tres Pelicanos last May (May 2022) and was not able to hunt any lionfish because we were always in the Marine Park....
How was your experience with Tres Pelicanos? next month we are going to Cozumel for the first time and will be staying in a place very close to it. Thanks!

It seems like SB is pretty sparse when it comes to info on the op, aside from a trip report and some info on possibly one of their boats detonating :)

Thanks!
We were at Presidente in late Feb 2023. If you are an experienced diver, I do not recommend them. Boats full of inexperienced people. DMs not great. All boats to the same location. We dove Aldora in the afternoon each day. They picked us up at the Presidente. Next time, if we stay at the Presidente, we will only dive Aldora.

I have no direct experience with that dive op, but we've stayed at the El Prez several times (love the hotel very much), and watched them (Scuba Du) come and go. As I recall, their boat looked huge (that is NOT a good sign: giant boat usually means too many divers in the water with you, ie a "cattle boat"...you do not want that). Honestly, I've never really heard much about this dive op one way or another, certainly there's no frequent praise or rabid following here. AFAICT, it's just your standard resort operation (which is to say, maybe adequate, but probably not outstanding).

I think what generally passes for wisdom/learned experience from members here is, regardless of where you are staying, just pick a great operator (that usually means ignoring the hotel's dive op). We always dive with Jeremy and his boutique dive op "Living Underwater." Have been using them for years, they're awesome.

Unless something has changed (and I doubt it has), your dive op of choice can just stop by the hotel's dock to pick you up/drop you off every day, it's no big deal for them, and super-convenient for you. That's what we've always done, it's a non-issue. It's a common expectation at almost every hotel that divers use their favorite op, you do NOT need to use the hotel's house op (only a few actively work against their guests and independent dive operators, shame on them).

You've picked a lovely hotel. Why not pick a great dive op, too? Just my 2 pesos.
Direct experience with Scuba Du= big no. Aldora is great. They will pick you up. We loved our room at Presidente. The staff were friendly. The place is kept very clean. Scuba Du needs a lot of improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom