Finding independant instructors in Cairns/Port Douglas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fordan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the best way to find an independant instructor in the Cairns/Port Douglas area?

I'm going to be down there the first week of October, and am fresh out of my Scuba certification. I suck down air at an exceptional rate and have buoyancy skills that could use some improvement, so I was considering hiring an instructor to buddy with on dives to work on skills while exploring the GBR. I'm travelling alone, and I know I wouldn't want to be stuck with me an an instabuddy.

I was considering the PADI Peak Performance Buoyance class, although it doesn't seem most places offer that outside of a full AOW class.

I'm open to other suggestions and advice as well, including about who to dive with. Haven't decided where I'm staying yet (likely either Cairns or Port Douglas), only have the flights arranged so far.

Hi Fordan

If you go out on the day boats or a live aboard you can ask for a dm to be your buddy. They might charge you but it is also a way.

This might be cheaper in the long run if you take a live aboard cruise, if you are wanting several days diving plus I am not sure if one would have to pay for the instructors passage out to the reef as well as the instructors services. Remember there is no shore diving.

Alot of live aboards also do courses on board.

There are several boats that go for the day or for a few days.

tusa dive http://www.tusadive.com/
pro dive cairns www.prodive-cairns.com.au
quick silver http://www.silverseries.com.au/ http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/
the spirit of freedom www.spiritoffreedom.com.au
taka dive www.taka.com.au

In regards to where to stay I prefer Cairns over Port Douglas but that is just me.

I would ask the instructor that taught you if they can teach the Peak Performance Buoyance class, if not do a google.com search or search the board for a dive store in your area, and just give them a call to see if they can offer you this before you go that way you spend more time enjoying the reef.

tracy_from_oz:
Hi Fordan

If you go out on the day boats or a live aboard you can ask for a dm to be your buddy. They might charge you but it is also a way.

This might be cheaper in the long run if you take a live aboard cruise, if you are wanting several days diving plus I am not sure if one would have to pay for the instructors passage out to the reef as well as the instructors services. Remember there is no shore diving.

Thanks for the response!

How many DMs are there usually, and aren't they usually leading groups, so my running out of air early will inconvience a group of people, and not just one person?

And thanks for the links for the boats. I knew some of them already; it was a trip out on the SilverSwift doing a "Discover Scuba" dive earlier this year that got me hooked and convinced me to take the certification class.

I'll look at liveaboards... I hadn't been looking very hard at them since if anything happens to stop you from diving (cold, etc), then there's not much for you to do, and most of the courses tend to be OW or AOW, and I'd been planning to do my advanced class in my home waters after I got more dives in.

tracy_from_oz:
In regards to where to stay I prefer Cairns over Port Douglas but that is just me.

I would ask the instructor that taught you if they can teach the Peak Performance Buoyance class, if not do a google.com search or search the board for a dive store in your area, and just give them a call to see if they can offer you this before you go that way you spend more time enjoying the reef.

Last time I was in the area, I stayed in Cairns, but drove through Port Douglas on my way up to Cape Tribulation. I suspect I'd get bored in Port Douglas, but if there was a compelling reason to dive from there vs. Cairns, I'd cope. :)

My dive shop is NAUI, not PADI, so they don't offer the PPB class, although there are a number of other PADI dive shops in the area. My impression is that PPB is mostly offered as part of a AOW class, though, and usually not on it's own, which is one of the reasons I was looking at an independent instructor who could offer the PPB class or just help me with my skills.

Hi Fordan.

The Peak Performance is a padi specialty on its own with its own merit. It is a seperate course within itself. It only has a couple dives in it as well. It doesnt matter whether padi or naui, if you want to do the course go for it.

When I go diving on a live aboard by myself i noramally "rent a dm" so pretty much it is me and the dm or maybe one other person. If someone runs out of air they normally send them up the anchor line to the boat and the others continue the dive so it really isnt wrecking any one else's dive really.

The live aboards offer from nitrox courses to advance, to photography courses.

As i said i like Cairns as there is more to do.

The live aboards are good if you want to do a few days diving and save some money and time and get in more dives as well. The coral sea is amazing as is cod hole.

Enjoy your time on the reef.

Hi

I thought I would put these links in here for you too mate.

Here are some web sites for Port Douglas

http://www.pddt.com.au/
www.portdouglasinfo.com
www.portdouglasholidays.com
www.portdouglas.com
www.portdouglasdirectory.com

Oh great place to have a great lunch is at the pub at the end of Mcrossan(sp?) st. It is the main street so you wont get lost, towards the water.

Remember if your going swimming at the beach in Port, stay in the nets. This applies to all beaches in Far North Queensland, however Cairns now has a massive pool in the middle of town so enjoy that if you need to cool down in the afternoon or an early morning swim.

Links for cairns

www.cairns.aust.com
www.cairns.qld.gov.au
www.cairnsinfo.com
www.cairnsconnect.com
www.tropicalaustralia.com.au

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom