Fingertipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw someone fingertip the reef to stay off of it.

As mentioned earlier, it happens. Even to the best divers. An isolated incident done with the care of a fingertip, doesn't concern me much. For it to be a common occurrence, escalates that a bit, at least to me.

So where is the line? How much is too much? I don't know. For myself, once is a failure if I'm touching anything that may cause harm (to me or it), or stir up silt.

I'm new but I've only had a couple of instances where I needed to touch anything. At those times I've been lucky enough to find sandy bottoms or dead patches that I wasn't going to harm with a gloved finger push. I'm getting better "close in" but generally I try to keep at least a foot between me and any kind of coral.

As mentioned earlier, it happens. Even to the best divers. An isolated incident done with the care of a fingertip, doesn't concern me much. For it to be a common occurrence, escalates that a bit, at least to me.

So where is the line? How much is too much? I don't know. For myself, once is a failure if I'm touching anything that may cause harm (to me or it), or stir up silt.

Exactly. My goal is to never have to touch it.

And here I thought you guys were discussing shooting the bird underwater or paying somebody with a finger tip...:wink:

What they all said. The fact that you are concerned means you are doing well. Just try and do your best, practice those skills, and set a good example as you improve but without being too pushy with others who need to practice more. It's a gentle push and pull with new divers or people who disrespect the ocean and the animals within. Some battles you just can't win and others you can gently kinda gently sway.

I personally try to never touch the reef and stay well away from it but any diver who says they have never touched something is likely either lying or has a poor memory.

Interesting story...I took a class with a famous marine biologist who spent much of the class room time telling us not to touch the reef and how bad it was to do so then when we went out to dive , it was hard to keep track of all the things this person touched, moved, and disturbed but I guess that is their life and I am just an observer.

SoccerJeni,

You're running with the right state of mind, the less you touch the better. In most situations skill will keep you off of things. You will have situations where surge, a bumbling buddy or a distraction creates the need for physical contact with the surroundings. In most cases a fingertip of contact will manage the situation.

Pete

I went back and read the original post, and I completely concur with Gareth. I think it's very common for new divers, especially if they have had a few buoyancy "oopses", to make an almost conscious decision to dive negative and discreetly push themselves up off the bottom, rather than risk an uncontrolled ascent. The answer to this, of course, is learning to attain and maintain neutral buoyancy, which to some degree also requires having control over your attitude in the water -- because if you aren't horizontal, your kick is affecting your depth, and if you are neutral at one point, a few kicks later you won't be.

Learn proper buoyancy control and the back kick. Once in a blue moon it may be necessary but certainly shouldnt be a common occurance. Also, try diving without gloves, that way you are less likely to want to touch the possibly stinging coral, besides you have better dexterity without gloves on, so it's a win win :).

...I took a class with a famous marine biologist who spent much of the class room time telling us not to touch the reef and how bad it was to do so then when we went out to dive , it was hard to keep track of all the things this person touched, moved, and disturbed but I guess that is their life and I am just an observer.

I can relate to that. I don't know how many times I have been to Cozumel or some other place and at the first of the week you are told not to touch anything and then the DM will touch this, pick up that, or bring some creature over to show you. Now I don't have a problem with that because there is a big difference in "touching" and "harassing" and usually they are very careful in what they do.

Back
Top Bottom