Finning backward applications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Curiosity topic here.

Background: Just came across a thread where a fin was described as less suitable for 100-200ft backward swims.

Questions: What practical applications do you use extended backwards swims? How frequently do you drill for it? What's your preferred patterns?

Well that's that.

Regards,
Cameron

Well, being able to back fin adequately doesn't necessarily have to be for long distances, but to answer your question, cave diving in a restriction where you are unable to turn around. You may have to back fin your way out for an extended period of time, although typically that scenario is quite rare.

Or if you get in a shark fight and want to swim backwards but still have your fightin' arms and requisite BFK on the shark side of the engagement.....

Its most common usage isn't for long distances, but precise positioning, whether you're trying to frame a photo or staying a constant distance from your partner while holding a stop. I often find myself using a back kick or two to initiate an ascent, whether at the end of the dive or just because I'm too close to something I'm looking at to go forward. Go a little head down, back kick, and back and up you go. And of course, it's what one side or the other is doing during a helicopter turn.

Last edited:
if you can back fin in a cave, odds are you can find a way to turn around, but more than likely you will push yourself backwards as back finning is horribly inefficient. Not sure of any real application of back finning for that long unless you are filming someone from the front

I can't think of any situation I'd ever be in where it would be required. Can't do it anyway with my split fins.

In cave diving it is a priority skill. It is just one of many finning skills as station keeping, helicopter turn all while maintaining dead nuts perfect bouyancy. Used on almost every dive I do while tying off a jump reel, dropping and clipping a stage bottle, turning the dive at thirds while never turning your back to the line. All this with at times a mild flow or a ripping fire hose flow. Your hands are used for lights and reels, not grabbing a rock for stability.

Its most common usage isn't for long distances, but precise positioning, whether you're trying to frame a photo or staying a constant distance from your partner while holding a stop. I often find myself using a back kick or two to initiate an ascent, whether at the end of the dive or just because I'm too close to something I'm looking at to go forward. Go a little head down, back kick, and back and up you go. And of course, it's what one side or the other is doing during a helicopter turn.

Yup. I also find the back kick useful to stop an unwanted ascent. If I'm getting a little light, but I'm busy, bottle switch etc. one can go a little heads up and pull yourself down just a bit with a back kick. Very valuable tool.

Tobin

I back kick often. Maybe I want to get close to something on the reef then back away from it. Or approach my buddy to hand him something then increase the distance. Maybe I'm placing a marker on the cave line and there's nothing to push off of to get back where I wanna be.

Incredibly useful.

Back finning is very important but for several hundreds of feet, that seems a bit extreme. But this is Scubaboard after all. This particular skill is very useful for the photographer who might want to photo something in tight surrounds, my hands are full of camera junk so no one finger push offs, I move in and get my shot and then back kick out and do so without touching or disturbing anything.

N

I use back finning extensively while teaching in open water. Beginners are learning horizontal trim and frog kicks. Or on an underwater tour. I'm facing them while back finning and motioning them to come towards me as they move forward. These swims can be long. I do this to keep an eye on students and hand signal them on ways to improve their trim & kicks as they swim towards me. From time to time, I point to one of the students and signal slow down if he is moving forward faster than I can back kick :).

If the currents are a bit strong, I underwater swim on my back facing them, again so I can watch them as they swim forward towards me.

After a few dives and as their trim, frog kicks and mod flutter get better and stronger, I transition to forward swim, with occasional otter flip and back swim to watch them move forward then flip over to forward swim again.

As an instructor it's important for me to have the students in sight at all times for safety reasons and coaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom