Fins for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any excuse is good to get another piece of gear, but when it comes to fins ...it should be a law.

Yes, you shouldn't sacrifice your requirements in order to please an airline, but there are plenty to choose out there.

Once you find the one that fits you and your airline consider getting a second pair. Unless it is a super common brand/style, the manufacturers have this tendency to change stuff usually faster than the life of the item in question.

I like full foot and open heal fins, now for the full foot I have fairly long Mares. I took them on a trip once, got sick of carrying them on all the stops I made during that trip. Got home and found another pair of Mares with the same shape blade but shorter. It is not a short fin by any means ...I love them in the water and I don't have to hand carry-them because they fit in my bag with the rest of the gear.

All my open heal fins fit inside my bags without a problem, if I'm taking them it means I going to a cold place. In that case the weight of the fins is the least of my problems.

You might look into the Mares Avanti X3 (the current model is the Avanti Superchannel). They are similar to the well regarded Quattro but with a shorter blade. I got my wife a pair last spring and she loves them so much I got my self a pair. They are much lighter than my Jets and a easier to pack.

Travel restrictions are only going to increase and the dive industry is very slow to respond. We are trying to get all of our equipment for two divers into one modest roller dive bag which then allows us a bag for our cloths and a possible carry on for a camera/computer (unless non domestic) so today's huge, heavy, long oversize fins may have to be downsized.

The Avanti X3 can be had right now for under 50 dollars but in most cases the black model is sold out but there is plenty of blue and yellow left. Google them. They work well with spring straps also.

N

You might look into the Mares Avanti X3 (the current model is the Avanti Superchannel). They are similar to the well regarded Quattro but with a shorter blade. I got my wife a pair last spring and she loves them so much I got my self a pair. They are much lighter than my Jets and a easier to pack.

Travel restrictions are only going to increase and the dive industry is very slow to respond. We are trying to get all of our equipment for two divers into one modest roller dive bag which then allows us a bag for our cloths and a possible carry on for a camera/computer (unless non domestic) so today's huge, heavy, long oversize fins may have to be downsized.

The Avanti X3 can be had right now for under 50 dollars but in most cases the black model is sold out but there is plenty of blue and yellow left. Google them. They work well with spring straps also.

N

I think those are the models I have. The Quattro in the boat and I sooooo love them, and the Avantitre for travel.
Like you say, the black ones take some looking around, I first got a blue pair that I keep south and not sure right now of the actual model but the blade is very similar, also great in the water. Then found the black Avantitre on my size, super cheap (I want to say 39$ but not sure).

We (husband and I) are reconsidering dive trips. We have such a great time in South Florida diving on our terms, it is getting harder and harder to deal with dive charters.
We travel for work fairly often so dive gear is always present, just in case we can sneak a dive or two. But for a couple of dives you don't pack the same as for a week of just diving.

I'm editing this because I just re-read your post Nemrod, talking about springs straps you must be talking open heal,,, I'm with the same models but full foot.

Ana, the Avanti X3 and Quattro and the new Avanti Superchannels are available in both open heel and full foot versions. Same fin, just a different pocket, they are all great fins. The Quattro is a long fin, the Avanti is a "mid" length fin. So, yes, we are talking about the same fins, just you have closed heel and my wife has the open heel because she likes to have a boot on.

N

Thanks to all who responded to my "Fins for Travel" question. All suggestions are appreciated. I suspect the general consensus is (Whatever works best for you.) I have heard this comment consistently in my quest to purchase new equipment.
Thanks again and good diving to all. ScubaBoard Rocks!
Bob in Arkansas:wink:

For what it is worth, the example thermoplastic fin I chose for us, the Avanti, knocked four full pounds from our dive bag vs my wife's Mini-Rockets and my Jet XLs. The four pounds is significant and while the fins are not really smaller, they are certainly lighter.

I think there is room here for the manufacturers to develop lighter and even smaller travel fins. Most tropical travel divers simply do not need the thrust of a Super Jet or Quattro type fin and the splits, by and large are no lighter.

n

I am returning to scuba after a 43yr.hiatus. I bought a pair of (Aqualung Sling-Shot Fins) from the local dive shop. I like them well enough, but might want to investigate purchasing a second pair (Lighter for Travel). I have looked at some fins made by Zeagle (Product name escapes me?) Any Suggestions?
Thanks!
Bob Rubenstein
In Razorback Country

EXACT same deal here. I got the Slingshots and love them, but they're insanely huge and heavy. Wife's got a pair of Mantarays that she loves, and I'm going to pick up a pair for traveling myself. They're very small and light, and from what I can tell indestructible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom