Fins Recommendation: Scubapro Seawing Nova, Mares Avanti Quattro + or Cressi Master F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMdotcom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little help on which of the following fins to buy:

1) Scubapro Seawing Nova
2) Mares Avanti Quattro +
3) Cressi Master Frog

I'm looking for speed and manoeuvrability, but having difficulty deciding as I've received conflicting advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Last edited:
+ 1 Scubapro Seawing Novas! However, I find a lot of divers love the stiffer Gorilla SeaWing Novas.

I own Frogs, Novas and Gorillas. No longer a fan of the Frogs. I find the Novas are faster than the Gorillas but can Frog kick much better in the Gorillas, they are stiffer. The Novas are positively buoyant which doesn't suit my trim needs the Gorillas are neutral. I have no need to go fast so my preference is the Gorillas. I only wear the Novas (white) for night diving or when viz is particularly bad. I also own some jets, way heavy. The Gorillas are my current go to fin. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice you given!

My first choice was going to be the
Seawing Novas, but many of the local dive centres here in Spain haven't given them positive reviews. The general consensus is:

1) that they're not durable.​
2) that you get major leg strain when diving in strong currents.
3) that you need to work a lot harder to get any speed, compared to the Quattro + or Master Frog

- Again, some impartial views would be greatly appreciated :)

My next option was the
Mares Avanti Quattro + as they seem to have a great review on
ScubaLab's website
Unfortunately non of the local dive centres here offer the option of testing the fins out prior to purchase.

If anyone else has some comments that they would like to share, then please feel free to post below.
I'm looking to make my purchase this Friday 06/09/2013.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mares Avanti Quattros hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! simply the best fins on the market!!!

I have dove the gorillas, regular novas and mares avanti full foot. I agree that the gorillas were too stiff, and I'm a big guy (220) with huge legs (run marathons).

I am very happy with my seawing novas and certainly don't find them to be slow at all and no issues with leg strain. I can't really compare them to my mares full foot as that's comparing apples and oranges, but I doubt you could go wrong with either.

As for the durability issue, there were some issues with the hinge early on, but the design has been changed, and at least in the US scubapro warranties the fin for life if it breaks.

I am a small guy and without a doubt the Novas are the fastest fins I've owned, I don't have big or strong legs and can generate impressive speeds with the Novas, not so much with the Gorillas due to stiffness but like I previously posted the additional stiffness of the Gorillas makes Frog kicking much easier.

I tried the regular Novas several times and did not like the flimsy-ness. They were not very maneuverable. Terrible frog kicking! Then I tried the Gorilla version... I now own Gorillas! AWESOME speed and great frog kick. They are stiff...no doubt. I have tried a lot of other fins and am a bit of a fin snob! My faves up till now were TUSA Platina Plus tech black...now...my Neon Orange Seawing Nova Gorillas!!

JohnnyO
"What if the Hokey Pokey "IS" what it's all about?"

Back
Top Bottom