Fins too stiff... knees sore... recommendations for new fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERParamedic,

If you are willing to cut up your fins, I know how to solve the problem, and make your fins much better to boot. Please look at this link, where I explain the concept of the "scoop fins." This incorporates the best of both the "paddle" fin and the split fin. In my research, the split fin, while relieving pressure, looses power because of some loss through the blade. By incorporating the flexible membrain concept of the "scoop fin" into your fin blade, you will get a lot of relief from the strain this blade gives, while maintaining the power. And, it's still your fin that you've had for years. Please read the entire thread (4+ pages):

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133330933

If you want, you can PM me for details of the construction.

SeaRat

I'd think the TUSA splits would be good for an inexpensive fin, based on their rating. I dive the Atomic Aquatic splits and love them. Not having knee pain when diving with them, but they are much more expensive.

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster
I love www.CrazyScuba.com, they saved me LOTS of scuba money! :sappy:

i had the same issue...switched to splits and love them. a modified bicycle kick works like a champ for me. i use sp twin jets black the vast majority of the time, and apollo bio yellow for night diving, so my buddies can keep better track of me. i use a set of tusa xpert zooms from time to time as well. and contrary to what other "experts" had to say above, i don't "struggle" through the water with splits. i move as quickly and as accurately through the water as i ever did with any paddles. i still use my standard jets for wreck diving to utilize the frog kick to reduce stirring up silt, etc. additionally, what others above don't take into consideration is an individual's unique physiology. and because you "favor" your knees now, the remaining parts of your lower trunk, such as your hips and lower back will be called more into action, which could easily result in secondary affects such as lower back and hip strain if you continue using paddles. pain from muscle spasms in these areas aren't fun either. either can end your dive day prematurely. and not to mention the "fun factor" loss by having to concentrate so diligently on your kicking technique in order to avoid aggravating your knees. make the switch to splits and you'll enjoy your dives more without having to worry about your knees so much. in order of stiffest to softest, in my experience, the splits go like this...sp black twin jets, apollo bios (blk or yel), and the tusa xpert zooms (color irrelevant). lastly, when you get your splits, make sure you fit them with spring straps. fins can be donned and removed so much faster and easier with these straps. and the less time needed to bend, tweak, twist, struggle or otherwise aggravate your knees in general to get fins on and off, the better. i've got an extra set of tusa xpert zooms in sil/blk already fitted with spring straps in size large that i'd probably let go for $125 shipped if you're interested. good luck...

This is probably starting to seem repetitious, but I'll put in another vote for split fins. I have Apollo Bio-fins and I love them. I get great propulsion without a lot of effort or strain.

Hi..Im in the same predicament....ive got a bum knee too...Me and my newly certified gal are going to Coz this next week.So, im checking out my and her regs in the dive pool two days ago ,and blew my knee out finning with my ol paddle fins. Going for a knee drain and cortizone on Monday...ouch! im thinking that the bio fins will do the trick....or maybe a wheelchair?
Somebody got a leather strap for me to bite on while the turkey baster goes in the knee? Wash

I have only Mares Plana fins (from 1982!!) to compare my new Oceanic Caribe with, but the Caribes deliver effortless kicking and excellent speed, for which my knees are really appreciative.
I bought the full-foot version for under $20 (from Leisure Pro) so I could join my daughter in the Keys, and I am VERY pleased with their performance.
I hope to try other fins for comparison, but at $20 for a top-rated fin, it was a no-brainer.

erparamedic:
I currently have TUSA IMPREX fins, and have had them for about 11 years. I like them, but with my ongoing knee issues (osteo-arthritis), I'm finding that they seem too stiff and eventually the finning causes my knees to get sore. Does the soreness slow me down or inhibit my ability? Definitely not, but it's a nuisance to me, and I don't like nuisances!

Is there anyone out there that could recommend a GOOD fin that gives decent propulsion, but isn't quite as stiff? I'm not sure that I'm gonna buy a new set of fins, but would like to try some options, then make my decision.

Thanks in advance!

See if your LDS has a pair of Atomic Liquid Blue or Atomic Reef Red fins that you can try out in the water. I got the Atomic Liquid Blue fins and have not had any cramps since doing so.

These fins are somewhat pricey but I love them.

P.S.

They are split fins.

ronbeau:
See if your LDS has a pair of Atomic Liquid Blue or Atomic Reef Red fins that you can try out in the water. I got the Atomic Liquid Blue fins and have not had any cramps since doing so.

These fins are somewhat pricey but I love them.

P.S.

They are split fins.

FYI the reef red are the same stiffness as the yellow, blue or silver...

the liquid blue are supposedly a bit softer but the performance is basically Identical.

Good!change you fining technique :D
WetDawg:
The ideal fining technique is to try and keep you knees straight, relax your ankles and fin from the hip. Using this technique you should not bend your knees when fining, doing so is a very inefficient use of your fins and produces unnecessary stress on your knees.

Split fins are much more forgiving when you use a bent knee or "bicycle kick" to struggle through the water.

Try changing your technique, not your fins.
I strong agreed

Have your buddy shoot video of your fining style and post it up for analysis.

We will get you sorted out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom