Fins too stiff... knees sore... recommendations for new fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Tusa before "No problem" for me, try change fining technique and look your trim.
soonerwink:
I had the same fins you have, and the same trouble with my knees. I switched to TUSA Expert Zoom and this helped tremendously. These are the only split fins I have used, but very happy with them. Would recomend Spring Straps though.

...another vote for splits...
I use the Atomic Aquatics as well. Originally thought they were too soft, and I cramped, until I learned how to fin with splits: Shallow flutter, instead of the full stroke you do with a paddle... cramps stopped, speed doubled, and control was great.

2 knee surgeries..

Tried the Aqualung caravelle's , the jet fns , some other cressi paddle fins

and I ended up trying the apollo bio fins xt with the c-spring and these have to be the best fins I've swam with :) very comfortable, no strain.. and I can do mini flutter kicks with minimal to no effort at all

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will have to try out some split fins. Also, for the record... I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee, 1 on the right, and now arthritis. But, it doesn't get me down... I'm very active! Just get a little sore from time to time.

Gonna check out my LDS and inquire about splits.

erparamedic:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will have to try out some split fins. Also, for the record... I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee, 1 on the right, and now arthritis. But, it doesn't get me down... I'm very active! Just get a little sore from time to time.

Gonna check out my LDS and inquire about splits.

WOW! 2 knee ops?...so, had my knee drained ,and cortizone put in yesterday....I feel like a newborn colt,cept for the puncture!...lol
cant wait for friday in Coz finning with my new splits
:) Wash

washguy:
WOW! 2 knee ops?...so, had my knee drained ,and cortizone put in yesterday....I feel like a newborn colt,cept for the puncture!...lol
cant wait for friday in Coz finning with my new splits
:) Wash

FWIW, the splits work better with shorter strokes where the top and bottom are roughly inline with the hole you're pushing through the water.

If you need more speed/power, fin faster, not wider.

Terry

schaken:
I have only Mares Plana fins (from 1982!!) to compare my new Oceanic Caribe with, but the Caribes deliver effortless kicking and excellent speed, for which my knees are really appreciative.
I bought the full-foot version for under $20 (from Leisure Pro) so I could join my daughter in the Keys, and I am VERY pleased with their performance.
I hope to try other fins for comparison, but at $20 for a top-rated fin, it was a no-brainer.

The Caribe is on sale because it has been replaced by the CaribeX. Just cosmetic changes so no biggie. The Caribe is the right one for the arthritis guy. It packs easy for trips, costs next to nothing, is nice to look at, and performs with the Apollo Bio. It is a paddle fin so the split fin digs should have no traction here. There are several lookalikes which use the scoop fin technology. The idea for the design has been around for awhile. Mares has tried to make it work and finally got some good results with the Avanti Tre. It was revisited after some researchers at the University of Rochester taped the split in the Bio Fin and ran speed trials. They found that the fin was just as fast (very fast), and as efficient, with the gap taped shut.
Disclosure: I own all of these fins and agree with all Scubalab results pertaining to them..

Another vote for 'split fins', I use the SP "Twin Jets" and have not had so much as in the way of knee problems as ankles, I currently have 6 screws and some steel holding my fiblia on, "twin jets" certainly seem easier on my ankle and I notice less 'cramping' in my 'hamstring' and 'calf muscle' as compared non-splint fins. This is just me though! And in some conditions others insist split fins 'don't cut it'!

I'm also placing my vote for split fins. Before my OW I tried a buddies blade-style fins in a pool, and my ankles started to hurt, and my knee. I then tried Atomic splits, and what a difference. Since Atomic is what my LDS carries, that's what I bought. I've been extremely happy with them.

If you get the chance to try different fins, got for it. Find what works best for you. Since using the splits, my "bad" knee with osteoarthiritis hasn't complained (from finning), nor have I had sore ankles. My kick also feels very stable - whereas with blades I felt like I had to work to keep them in line.

My bad knee does limit me when it comes to hiking to the shore with all my gear...but when I'm in the water, it's happy!

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom