Fins

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Laurel, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Laurel

Laurel Angel Fish

Ok, after looking through all the messages on this board I am extremely confident that many of you will be able to offer advice. When I started diving I chose to purchase quality, but basic equipment in order to ensure this was not a passing fancy. (Well, I did spend bucks on a regulator since it provides my air!). Overall I have been very happy with my equipment and it doesn't even bother me that my colors don't match; however, I would really like to upgrade my fins. I do not feel the need to swim faster, just want something more efficient. Please let me know your suggestions. Thanks. laurel

2. HERB KING

HERB KING Angel Fish

Hi Laurel, I have about 5 different pairs of fins and just recently purchased a pair of scuba pro split fins and have dove them about 10 time now. So far I have noticed less effort and more efficency over anything I have owned. The only thing I dont like about them is they seem less efficent when I am on the surface on my back. I bought the black fins as they are negative bouyant, which I prefer. They also come in a slightly positive bouyant model. They are a bit pricey but if they last as long as my scuba pro jest have then I will be way ahead of the game.

3. Dave

Dave Guest

Laurel,

I agree, split fins are the way to go. I've been diving for a long time and these fins are truly an innovation. If you tend to fin with a bent leg, they are great.

4. Laurel

Laurel Angel Fish

Actually I have been admiring those split fins for a couple of months now and am glad to hear that they are gettting good reviews. Thanks. Laurel

5. Mario S Caner

Mario S Caner Member

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Laurel,
    Check out the thread labels split fins. It should help you out quite a bit. In the end the fins you should choose will vary depending on how strong you are, where you dive and what type of kick you have.

Mario :cool:

6. dlndavid

dlndavid 私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるだScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yah, I like them too.

7. getwet2

getwet2 Manta Ray

Mares Avanti Quattro's :thumb:

8. radinator

radinator Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Ditto the Quattros

9. wunat

wunat Scuba Instructor

Some loves those split fins, some hate them. I believe it is simply subjective.

If you do have powerful legs, check out those hard rubber fins such as Scubapro Jet Fin.

10. spyder

spyder Barracuda

I dove a pair of Gorilla's for years and recently switched to black Twin Speeds. So far I can't tell much difference but don't like the length. The Gorillas have good thrust and are compact so I don't have to worry about hitting things. The Twin Speeds are long and I find myself worrying about what I might hit. The other bummer is they don't fit in the fin pouches on my travel bag due to the length and I don't want to bend them by putting them inside.

11. bcsean

bcsean Manta Ray

If you're flutter kicking around, splits work fine, but if you do much frog kick, you're going to want a solid blade fin. Short, wide and stiff is the best for this. Jets/turtles are the best two options.

But regardless of what anybody says, beg, borrow and steal as many sets as you can to try them and decide for yourself.

12. aquaoren

aquaoren Surface Interval Member

# of Dives:
    All sound advise but the thread is more than 4 years old. I think Laurel already replaced them :D

13. getwet2

getwet2 Manta Ray

OOPS, you caught us all asleep at the keyboard!

DOH

14. dlndavid

LOL

15. wunat

wunat Scuba Instructor

He did indeed.

16. aquaoren

# of Dives:
  17. getwet2

getwet2 Manta Ray

OK, you can wipe that grin off your face now Oren!

18. aquaoren

# of Dives:
    This was not a grin.
    This is a grin :D

19. dlndavid

And I'm the one LMAO

20. Kestrell

Kestrell Barracuda

Yup; good fin. They are what I use. They are quite stiff though.

Whatever you get, be sure to remove the heel straps the fins come with and put on spring straps.