First BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more point . . . It is better, in my opinion, to own gear than not to own gear. If your friend's BC is a reasonable fit and well-priced (and especially if budget is a big issue) you are probably better off buying it, knowing that you will replace it when you can, than not buying anything -- because if you have your gear, you will go DIVING! Rental costs and inconveniences tend to result in less frequent diving :)

What is better? back only inflating, full vest inflating, or ???
Hard to say one configuration is truly 'better'. There are reasons why it may be a little easier to achieve good horiziontal trim with a back-inflate BCD, and you will see comments from a numbers of divers who prefer back-inflates for that reason. But, a competent diver can achieve good trim with a vest as well. I have a vest, a back-inflate, several BPs and wings, and a 'soft' plate / wing (a TransPac), and I am comfortable when diving each of them. I personally prefer a BP/W for simplicity and versatility, and suggest that approach to new divers considering gear purchases, but it is a preference rather than an absolute endorsement. I also prefer a weight belt to integrated weights, and I think many of the issues that some divers experience with back-inflate BCDs occur with integrated weights - a bit too much weight, usually positioned at the diver's front, and associated overinflation of the bladder, at the diver's back, resulting in the face-forward sensation that you see reported as a problem with back-inflate units. It doesn't have to occur. I also prefer having a crotch strap, which is a little harder to come by with a vest unit (unless you rig one yourself), and some back-inflate units for that matter.
I have a friend who has a Mares Syncro tech back inflating bc, said he'd sell it to me. Any suggestions, info, or what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.
Reasonable BCD. It is weight-integrated, but you don't have to dive it that way - you can still use a weight belt with a weight-integrated BCD. Positives - it has received decent reviews, will easily meet your needs based on the description of the diving you plan to be doing. Negatives - we have had a few challenges at the shop (we are a Mares dealer) with getting parts for Mares equipment in a timely manner (I use a Mares reg for pool work, and find some replacement parts hard to come by), so I generally stay away from Mares, except for their fins (and my used reg), as a result. I wouldn't buy a Synchro Tech new - way too much unnecessary padding that adds to your weight requirements. But, for a used unit IF the price is right - which would be no more than 50% of the lowest on-line price you can find for a new unit - it should be a good starter BCD for you, and for the type of diving you plan to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom