First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been buying on line since 2006 when my local shop would not get me the items I wanted.
I started selling on line in 2011. This was my fourth year as a dealer and, while smaller, I have put maybe 100 people in BPW's all over the world in those 4 years.
Sent BPW's and other gear to Singapore, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, Germany, Okinawa this year.
Customers in Australia and Spain last year. As well as all over the US.
I have one guy who sends me his regs that need serviced every year from Okinawa.
I still buy from other on line retailers who have items I want but for whatever reason can't get.
Some are larger like Leisure Pro. Others like me with small shops and an on line presence. Why? Because for the most part I get better service from them than all but one local shop.

my apologies on guessing wrong, you are quite small then!

Jim is a solid guy, haven't had any direct sales with him, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy. I have been buying things from Mike at DRiS for years and he has a great selection and his CS is second to none in the industry. I would say Jim is small scale, but DRiS is certainly not small, not Amazon huge or LP huge, but DRiS and Dive Gear Express are top notch shops.

"One wing to rule them all..."

myprecious1.jpg

"We wants it. We needs it. Must have the Precious!"

so far I've dove fresh water at Lake Mead (Nevada) and salt water in San Diego.
How far are you from Pasadena? Deep Sea Supply is located there. Nothing like getting fitted from the owner, Tobin, IMO. And he can also help you set it up for whatever diving you plan to do. If you plan to still dive the 7mil in the Caribbean, not much may change if you pick the right wing initially. They also sell bolt-on weight plates if you need more weight for cold water - just remove them when you move. They have a mfr's forum here or: https://www.deepseasupply.com/ I don't dive a BP/W but if I did they'd be my first choice.

There's also www.scuba.com in Irvine, they're one of the larger on-line retailers also.

Scubatoys.com in Dallas is another option. They'll exchange things with you until it's right. Even pieces of things...I've probably been buying from them for almost a decade.

Actually that's a good point, if you can justify a trip to LA before you leave getting fitted by Tobin would be one of the best scuba decisions you'll ever make. I would say it's worth about a 3 hour drive each way, he's that good. His still is also very reasonably priced and incredibly high quality. Also supporting the little guy.

I live in Vegas, but I'm able to head to California for the weekend every now and then. Probably won't be back there until January, I'll see if I can schedule time to visit.

What exactly does he do?

he builds all of his wings in house, so you're not only getting fitted by the guy who made the product, but you are also getting one of the highest quality products in the industry, made in USA if you care about that, and also supporting a small shop instead of a massive corporation.... Read some of the threads here on DSS products, his backplates especially are gorgeous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom