First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RyanT Yes Both Great Rec computers, I'm a big fan of large screens. On the Eon you have the graphics (circular bar graphs) as well as the numbers, so at a glance you can see from the position of the bar, how much gas/NDL/ Stop time is remaining - great fro those early morning dives where not enough coffee has been consumed. But once again a personal preference

@tbone1004 I can't argue with you on that point. As I said, the territories I can purchase from the price difference is way closer. I'm lucky that OSTC is also available to me which of course you can't get in the US I believe?

I don't understand why this is so either. If I were trying to compete with a (perceived) market leader an a territory then I'd be sure to have a much closer if not slightly lower price. Only the manufacture /distributor can answer that and of course they won't

OSTC is not available here, and if OSTC is substantially cheaper than either of the options you have mentioned, I would jump on that.

OSTC's verbatim answer as of 22 hours ago on why they don't sell to North America

"We are sorry to tell you that we currently do not ship our dive computers into the USA or Canada due to warranty and liability reasons - the regulations for this are different from these in Europe."

My beginer's computer was a used Mares Icon HD which I purchased from Scuba Toys for $425. It served me very well all the way through Deco and Cavern Diver courses. I guess, a used unit which once was top of the line would be a reasonable start for you, too. However, if you can and want pay $1400 for an EON Steel, I would rather choose Perdix, which is cheaper and more advanced. There are also DC's, which might be even more attractive for a young guy - like Scubapro (Seabear) H3, which is the most stylish computer around and it can be worn like a watch. It is integrated with social networks, too. Nevertheless, it is a full featured technical dive computer If I could afford it, my first choice would be Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC4. But it is German made and more popular in Europe. If functionality is what you are looking for, some accomplished divers rate Dive Soft Freedom higher than Perdix for its flexibility and customisation options.

However, I would recommend to find a good deal on a good, used computer and save your money for the time when you will really need an advanced one. Technologies develop pretty fast.

Last edited:
OSTC is not available here, and if OSTC is substantially cheaper than either of the options you have mentioned, I would jump on that.

OSTC's verbatim answer as of 22 hours ago on why they don't sell to North America

"We are sorry to tell you that we currently do not ship our dive computers into the USA or Canada due to warranty and liability reasons - the regulations for this are different from these in Europe."

Yeah, sorry about your luck

The only price check I could get (on the same site) was that the OSTC 4 was $350 more than a Petrel/Perdix but the OSTC 2, 3 and Sport are all the same price or under. Occasionally I come over to the US, Next time I'll let you know and see if you want me to bring one over :)

Yeah, sorry about your luck

The only price check I could get (on the same site) was that the OSTC 4 was $350 more than a Petrel/Perdix but the OSTC 2, 3 and Sport are all the same price or under. Occasionally I come over to the US, Next time I'll let you know and see if you want me to bring one over :)

I think at one point last year EUR was down and CDN up to the point where OSTC sport would be just under $500 while Petrel 2 was close to $900. :shrug:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom