First Dive Computer

Which Dive Computer do you recommend?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuri, echoing what is above, you really have two options
Get what you want and will last forever, that is basically the Petrel and that's about it.
Get something cheap and will function for you in the long run as backup.

Petrel is nice because it will track constant PO2 as a backup computer for CCR, isn't all that expensive, and is by far the best. There are comments about it not being the latest and greatest, but unless some massive technology leap happens in the next 2-3 years you won't see anything substantially better than the Petrel. It's predecessor the Predator is all but identical, just a bit bigger, and has a finicky battery selection, and now with the Petrel 2, doesn't have a digital compass which few use anyway. If you buy a Petrel now, it will still be one of the top computers in 5 years time.

What I would recommend in your situation is a dive watch and an SPG. Oceanic Geo 2.0 is one that comes to mind, if you have a Mares dealer running a sale, the Mares Smart is similar. Small profile dive watch which is good for local just jump in the water recreational diving, still has multigas capability which allows you to run basic decompression dives which will cover basically everything until trimix and CCR, and can then be put in gauge mode. It's about half the price of the Petrel and significantly smaller. I love my Petrel, but it doesn't come with me for most light recreational diving because it is rather large. Issue with a Petrel is when you go to CCR, you'll likely be going to one with the Dive Can which will have a Petrel controller tied directly to the system, and you have the option for another Petrel or NERD which integrates with the CCR. That integration will give more accurate monitoring for you than a standalone. Standalones are fine, but you may as well integrate if you can, and the Fisher Connector Petrel is quite a bit more expensive for cell monitoring. For Trimix ocean dives you'll be cutting tables manually and using your computer in gauge mode, and one of the small watch computers will do that just fine.

Other option is used, Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimede II, all the other computers that Seiko made for whatever manufacturer can be had pretty inexpensively on the used market and they are good basic mixed gas computers.

As most others have said, a basic Nitrox computer with Gauge Mode is all you really need for most of the diving most anyone does.

I have an Oceanic Veo 2.0

It does 1 gas (up to 50%) and Gauge Mode.

When it comes time for a 'Tech' computer, it will turn into my backup bottom timer (which again, most training is to use a computer in gauge mode for most TECH diving).

Most people I dive with/know, still keep the computers in Nitrox/Tech mode just to confirm the Deco/Ascent profiles that they have come up with (I do this currently with my Veo, keep it in Nitrox mode, even though I follow MD and its ascent profile ... just as a *very* minor sanity check).

The thing I like about the Veo (and presumably most Oceanics) it has the DSAT algorithm. While it is pretty liberal, it follows the PADI air tables, which for me, if the computer was to not be usable on a dive day, I can still plan my next dive confidently with my tables.

Anything else is extras, which may or may not be helpful. Integrated Gas is handy, but if your route is to Tech or ReBreather, you'll be looking at gauges anyways. Why not learn that habit right from the start?

What happens if your Integrated Gas gauge goes down on a dive (or a dive day). What will you do then?

BRad

I dive with a brass & glass SPG and two wrist computers, both Oceanic and neither AI: a VEO 3.0 and the GEO 2 wristwatch. I like them both. The UX on the 4 button GEO is a it annoying because it's slightly different than the 3 button VEO but I get by. They aren't as paranoid as the Suuntos but they have never done me wrong.

I see no purpose in AI. It's just another part to go wrong.

As always.. Great suggestions from experienced people.. All your answers give new knowledge.. :)

Currently I have conversed with a few experienced Rebreather Diver in Indonesia.. The most popular or I should say the most accessible Rebreather with good support and training is JJ-CCR.. They have good representative an instructor in Indonesia, one of them broke the deepest dive record a few years ago (Mr. Will Goodman, but I believe it has since been broken by someone else).

The thing is, the JJ-CCR already has an integrated Shearwater Petrel hard-wired to it.. And I'm guessing that most Rebreather will also have an integrated computer with them (haven't looked at many RB).. So I thought that if I buy a Petrel now, I would end up with 2 Petrels if I buy an RB (which is still a long way to go)..

I guess in the end I'm overthinking way ahead of my current level.. But that is what this thread is about..

Right now I'm currently leaning on buying a simple comp for now, and gain more experience first.. Maybe in the future I will know what I need when I need it.. :D

But more opinion is welcome, would like to hear more of your experience..

the Petrel controllers cannot be removed from the unit, they are the brain of the CCR itself and are permanently mounted *you can technically remove them, but it's not easy*, your "backup" then would be either another monitor i.e. NERD or separate Petrel, or a disconnected independent unit which is a standalone Petrel running a constant PO2 decompression algorithm based on whatever you set the unit at.

You have 5 dives. You don't know what you don't know (same for me by the way).
Get a dive computer that fits your needs - today.
Next year replace it with a new one .... and so on.
5 years from now dive computers will be different than what are today.

Whatever brand/model you will end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Yes.. Apparently there are so much Dive Comp related and Rebreather related things that I don't know about in all the above posts.. Definitely will do some more reading and learning..

Yes, as I gain more experience I think I will know what I need and maybe in the future I will ask more questions from all of you.. I guess I will just get a basic comp for now..

A Blue Mares Puck Pro will be good don't you think..? Since I have an all Blue accent on my other gear.. :D
Mares Puck for USD 112 in Scubastore seems out of stock, I believe it has been discontinued and replaced by the Puck Pro..?

So now the question is, which basic comp should I buy..?

Full disclosure: as a developer of the Atomic Cobalt, I have a definite perspective on computers. But I’d like to suggest a different possible take on the OP's question.
1) User interface matters- a lot to some people- and some computers are much easier to see and use than others.
2) For a new diver, a computer that has good feedback tools can serve as an aid to learning. Getting SAC easily and accurately, being able to easily view profiles and track what you did, being able to simulate and plan dives are all things that can help the learning process.

Not to say I don’t think he’s getting some good advice here, and in general I would support- if cost is a concern at all- getting a basic computer to start, one that can serve as a backup later on. Computers are improving rapidly. But if cost is not a driving concern, there are some advantages to top end computers even for new divers.

Ron

single button computers are a colossal pain to deal with btw, I would highly recommend against them.

.....and trying to remember which button or combination to press is also a "colossal pain to deal with", especially with a little narc going...

pick your poison....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom