First dive in new gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did my first dive in my new setup yesterday, we did North Bondi in Sydney. I was with a DM and another diver who was vastly more experienced than I. The DM had a solo orientred setup so I buddied with the other diver. We found all the swim throughs and features and saw some PJ sharks and a weedy sea dragon along with the usual residents.

The entry was tricky, we had to time a jump off the rocks with the swell so it took us away from the rock shelf rather than washing us into it and my buddy lost his torch.

I had a lot of trouble getting down, and when I got there my buddy swam up and handed me 6lbs of lead that I had dropped on the way down :blush:. I left another few pounds on the bottom somewhere and was pretty positive by the end of the dive, I had to spend the latter half finning to keep myself down. I guess you need to put lead in something before you put it in your BC pocket (Zeagle brigade).

My SAC was ok all things considered, we'd decided to finish with 30 Bar and I was first to thumb the dive. I ended with 30B, the DM with 50 and my buddy with 20. I had a play with the adjustable venturi switch on my Atmos Sport, but it didn't seem to do a lot, so I left it in the lowest setting.

The water was 18 deg C (65 Deg F) and I was fine in a 3mm core warmer under a 5mm hyperstretch. Going to try without the core warmer this weekend.

It's amazing how much more fun it is with good, new gear and not beat up rental stuff. Can't wait to get in again this weekend :)

Arete:
It's amazing how much more fun it is with good, new gear and not beat up rental stuff can't wait to get in again this weekend :)

isnt that the best? even though my first dive in my new equip. was crappy, i had a blast just knowing it was my stuff and playing with it.

Sounds like fun!

Good Job!

My first dive with my own equipment was just a little bit ago. I'm also still trying to figure out my weighting and buoyancy, but I had so much fun playing with my gear and getting to know the ins and outs!

Do you have the yellow bags to put your weights in? Mine work great I really tried to get the weights to come out and couldn't. By the way this year was my first with new gear. I have a Brigade and it not only made my first dive but 30+ dives this year great.

I was soooooo happy when I bought my new gear!!!!! So relieved to get away from the rental stuff... I took it home, set it up, and jumped in the pool and spent 45 minutes finning around, tweaking, and trying to get deep enough to cause my dive computer to come on :) Now if i do not have my equipment with me, i can not bring myself to dive without it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom