First Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help! Any suggestions on a first dry suit. I currently dive with a Mares Isotherm in cold conditions but will be moving up to a dry suit this winter. Dive most in Va Beach and Outers Banks of NC. Temps in no colder than about upper 40's.
I am looking at the Bare Next Gen or Whites Nexus. Are these too much of a entry level, cheaper suit or should I get a more expensive one. Any opinions would help. How about a DUI shell suit. Main concern is price and value for the money.

thanks \, G

In my opinion there is no reason to buy 'entry level' of anything. If you buy something that 'works for now', you're just going to be spending more when you have to buy new gear later on.

That being said, I would definitley recommend a shell suit over neoprene. A shell suit can be used anywhere from the Carribean to the arctic, just by varying the thickness of the undersuit. People mostly go for either DUI or Diving Concepts.

Do you think you'll move up to more technical diving in the future?

jgarysmith:
Help! Any suggestions on a first dry suit. I currently dive with a Mares Isotherm in cold conditions but will be moving up to a dry suit this winter. Dive most in Va Beach and Outers Banks of NC. Temps in no colder than about upper 40's.
I am looking at the Bare Next Gen or Whites Nexus. Are these too much of a entry level, cheaper suit or should I get a more expensive one. Any opinions would help. How about a DUI shell suit. Main concern is price and value for the money.

thanks \, G

Seriously, DUI TLS350..end of story. Just do it right from the begining.

RichLockyer:
And it just so happens:

http://www.linkline.com/personal/rlockyer/tls/

(shameless plug)

I have a sale pending, but have not heard from the prospective buyer.

Holy cow.....you mean no one has jumped on that yet. I thought for sure it would have been sold by now.

I still cant make up my mind if i want to go the DUI custom TLS350 or a custom Diving Concepts ultraflex pro with a custom TPS Thinsulate extreme stretch undergarment. I'll be pricing the diving concepts this week to see how much I'll be looking at and then decide which route i want to go. Its actually been nice diving a wetsuit again without the added drag of a drysuit. The only downside is the water is friggin cold when it sneaks it way inside and the suit itself compresses down to nothing at depth making it even colder. Man i miss drysuit diving :D

lal7176:
Holy cow.....you mean no one has jumped on that yet. I thought for sure it would have been sold by now.
I've had a few solid bites, but so far, nothing "in the mail".
I think part of it is that it's a stock XL... pretty big... and summer is not the time of year most people think about buying a drysuit.
My Cave Cut was completed nearly 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so even DUI is slow.

Back
Top Bottom