First Drysuit Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my PADI drysuit qualification last weekend and in our cold Canadian waters, it is the only way to go! I found that I didn't use my BC for buoyancy control underwater, just at the surface. I think if it works for you, use it that way, and if not, use your BC.

I know that drysuit is practically required to dive here in the winter. I am scheduled to do my AOW course in January and I was not going to try diving at that time of year in a wetsuit :)

Some of those who have commented mention a 'properly adjusted' drysuit valve. How does one properly adjust their valves? Mine is wide open and it rarely vents when I surface. Usually I have to do some 'armpit fart' maneuvers to get it to vent.

PADI teaches using the suit for buoyancy in their course which is the way I was originally taught but I personally subscribe to the "just enough air in the suit to prevent squeeze" method as I find it's much easier to manage the bubble in your wing & and my BC can dump air faster than my suit.

If you're going to use the drysuit for buoyancy I'd suggest getting gaiters to minimize the likelihood of air being trapped in your lower legs. I experienced the joys of floaty legs in my old laminate suit last year and it's not a fun feeling!

Back
Top Bottom