First foray into buying equipment, help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klolson26

Reaction score
I am a novice diver (25 dives), and want to purchase my own equipment - BC/reg. I live in Boston, and will do some (not much) summer diving here - 55 -60 degree water temp.

I'm traveling to Cozumel in 3 weeks, and am tired of renting equipment that's not comfortable, doesn't fit well. I will also be using it to clean the bottom of my sailboat in the summer -really technical diving, I know :wink:

Looking for an intro package - don't want to spend more than $1000 total as I just don't dive often enough for the investment. My local dive shop was puching me on a $600 BC and I know that I don't need that advanced equipment. I will be finishing AOW this summer.

Also, does anyone know much about Henderson's Neosport line? Found a great price on a 3mm suit, but want to see if people have had experience with it.

Thanks so much for your time!

With certain pieces of gear, like a wet suit, your diving enviroment is the determining factor that should influence your choice. I am not familiar with the Neosport line but in general, Henderson products are well made and deserve their spot near the upper end (cost wise) in the wet suit market. A 3mm suit will not be sufficient for 55-60 degree water and will likely not be enough for a weeks worth of semi tropical diving. Many people say that near the end of a weeks worth of live abourd diving they are getting cold in a 3mm. Fit will be a major factor as to wet suit comfort. I dive a Henderson Hyperstretch that is 7mm in the torso and 5mm in the arms and legs. This suit conforms so well to my body that I have dove it and not been too uncomfortable at 50 degrees but also used it in the Florida Keys and not felt too warm. The decision to buy a gear package is a good one if you want to be an active diver but can also be very confusing. As far as regulators go, without being brand specific, it may be worth it for you to buy something higher performing with an enviromental seal. There is no such thing as too good a reg in warm water but something engineered for the tropics simply won't cut it long term in colder water like Boston's. As to a BC, again there are compomises. Cold water will require a heavier wet or dry suit with a corresponding increase in the amount of weight you will need to carry. The choice between jacket style or back inflate has more to do with personal preference than anything else. I have friends that have been diving for decades with both types and are equally at ease in both types. As far as major brands-buy what is within your budget and suits your tastes as the vast majority of it is well made and reliable. Personally I wouldn't buy a $600 BC. Use a website like LeisurePro, if for nothing else, at least as a reality check on prices. It is not uncommon to see prices of 30-50% less between internet dive supplies and your LDS. Do a search on internet buying. It is one of the hottest most controversial topics on this board but make that choice based on your own comfort level. Using the internet as a price guide (which your LDS may be willing to match) you should be able to get a top performing reg with full size octo (avoid the hockey puck styles) for about $450. A quality BC can be had for $350-400 and a Henderson wet suit will likely run $300-400 depending on the style or model.

If you have no problem buying on-line check out divesports.com, they have great prices and will match anyone elses prices. They will also make sure you are happy. I just spent $2,400 there for both me and my wife. I was very satified.

klolson26:
I am a novice diver (25 dives), and want to purchase my own equipment - BC/reg. I live in Boston, and will do some (not much) summer diving here - 55 -60 degree water temp.

I'm traveling to Cozumel in 3 weeks, and am tired of renting equipment that's not comfortable, doesn't fit well. I will also be using it to clean the bottom of my sailboat in the summer -really technical diving, I know :wink:

Looking for an intro package - don't want to spend more than $1000 total as I just don't dive often enough for the investment. My local dive shop was puching me on a $600 BC and I know that I don't need that advanced equipment. I will be finishing AOW this summer.

Also, does anyone know much about Henderson's Neosport line? Found a great price on a 3mm suit, but want to see if people have had experience with it.

Thanks so much for your time!

Don't sell New England diving short. Although it is not as easy as Caribbean diving it is as much fun. If you are in the Boston area try Undersea Divers in Beverly MA. Bob Boyle is a friend and I've known him for more than twenty years, he can set you up with what you need for the diving you plan on doing and for the right prices. You can call Bob at 978-927-9551. He sells Henderson, DUI, Aqualung, Sherwood and Genesis among others. He also has his beginning and end of season sales on former rental gear and overstocks, you can find some good bargains at those sales. Good luck...

I'm a new diver, just spent a week in Bonaire. Water temperature was about 80 degrees. I used a 3mm full wetsuit while all my friends wore shorties. They would get cold during the second and third dives - I was warm on every dive. Also, I found my wetsuit at sierratradingpost.com - $65 for an O'Neill. They didn't have every size available, but I'm really happy with it. They also had 7mm available, they are an outlet store so the selection changes but you can get great deals sometimes. I've read and it seems to make sense - If you want to save money, save it on the wetsuit but buy good equip for life support.

Hi:
Another option would be to check out www.seadogsports.com The owner designed regulators for dacor - he did the 960. His prices are very reasonable and sells good equipment. I have bought a number of things from him and they are quality stuff. Last item was a 3 mil full suit. Really like it.
montyb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom