First hole in Oxycheq wing. How do I fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed when I was rinsing my 45lb Oxycheq wing after todays dive (first generation which does not have an outer shell) that it had two small holes which appear to be from something rubbing on the wing. The holes are about 2 inches down from where the inflator hose goes into the wing. It's about 1 inch above where the top of the STA ends. I am wondering what the best way to fix the hole would be? I can probably fairly easily get to the hole from the inside via the inflator hose opening.

Right now they are only pin holes, but I want to take care of them before they get much bigger.

This is the first problem that I have had with this wing in over 30 dives.

Please advise what I should do to fix the pin holes.

Thanks

Aqua Guy

A leaking Oxycheq wing? After only 30 dives? Well I don't know for sure what to tell you since my Halcyon 27# single layer wing with over 300 dives hasn't hinted at leaking yet.

After all the bashing of Halcyon wings by the Oxycheq crowd I couldn't resist that.. sorry. :wink:

If I had your problem and I could get to the spot easily from the inside I might try to dab some aquaseal on the area and then inflate the wing lightly to keep it from gluing together and to force some aquaseal through the hole temporarily ducting taping the outside so that all the aquaseal didn't get pushed out.

OK, Thanks UP, I will give it a try.

Uncle Pug:
A leaking Oxycheq wing? After only 30 dives? Well I don't know for sure what to tell you since my Halcyon 27# single layer wing with over 300 dives hasn't hinted at leaking yet.

After all the bashing of Halcyon wings by the Oxycheq crowd I couldn't resist that.. sorry.

If I had your problem and I could get to the spot easily from the inside I might try to dab some aquaseal on the area and then inflate the wing lightly to keep it from gluing together and to force some aquaseal through the hole temporarily ducting taping the outside so that all the aquaseal didn't get pushed out.

Any idea of what caused the holes? I have the same wing with 20+ dives in mostly salt water on it. No worries yet.

Also, check w/ Chris of COVCI. Perhaps he has some advice.

Hantzu

i to have an oxycheq 45 pound wing, first style like yours. Just recently developed 3 pin holes down on the bottom of the wing opposite of the dump valve. I used epoxy and some small squares of codura to fix the holes. Just smeared the epoxy over the holes and patches of cloth and glued them on. Then when about dry i took a toothpick and rubbed some on the seam of the patch and where it joined the wing, pretty much gluing down the edges. It has seemed to work good so far as i have about 5 dives since with no leakes. My wing had about 50 dives before this problem. One hole was where the corner of the plate is ( but it has a large radius ground on it so i imagine it caused it but don't know how and the other 2 were out in the open, one on the front one on the back, in different spots). Also the holes seemed not to be real puncture holes but more from abraision as they were somewhat frayed? Other than looking like a patched wing im still happy with it and it still dives great.

don't know if this helps, anyone else with this problem.

kurt

Scrap the wing and get a new one with an outer shell. Your BC is life support equipment: don't mess around with it!

I was able to get to the hole from inside of the wing. I placed a couple of dabs of Aquaseal like UP said and placed tape over holes on the outside. I will let it sit over night and see what happens.

ScubaRon, I think I will give this a try before scraping a good wing. I know many people who have patched wings (with no outer shell) and they are still alive!

AquaGuy:
I was able to get to the hole from inside of the wing. I placed a couple of dabs of Aquaseal like UP said and placed tape over holes on the outside. I will let it sit over night and see what happens.

ScubaRon, I think I will give this a try before scraping a good wing. I know many people who have patched wings (with no outer shell) and they are still alive!

After it dries put a little aquaseal on the outside of the holes as well. I have a Pioneer wing that I poked two small holes in and sealed with aquaseal on the outside. This was about three years ago and it is holding up just fine.

ScubaRon:
Scrap the wing and get a new one with an outer shell. Your BC is life support equipment: don't mess around with it!

I disagree. My life has never depended on the presence or absence of a BC. Furthermore, a couple of tiny holes are hardly anything more than a nuisance.

-Klaus

Probably a staple :wink:

hantzu701:
Any idea of what caused the holes? I have the same wing with 20+ dives in mostly salt water on it. No worries yet.

Also, check w/ Chris of COVCI. Perhaps he has some advice.

Hantzu

Back
Top Bottom