First kit package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy_j_briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to get my first set of kit in the New Year having recently got my PADI AOW qualification. At the moment I'm looking at getting BCD and reg but may also get a suit. I'm planning to mainly dive on holiday in warmer water, but will also do a bit of UK diving do would need regs suitable for cold water. I don't dive all that regularly so would just be after good value equipment (without sacrificing quality) that will last and probably have low servicing costs.

I'm thinking about going for a Buddy BCD (probably the Commando) but am not sure about regulators - I was thinking about Apeks but other brands seem to be a bit cheaper such as Oceanix and Scubapro.

I'm guessing that this is a fairly common topic on here, but does anyone have any advice to give me on BCD choice or regs?

Andy: I got a Scubapro as my first reg and haven't regretted it for a second! Merry X-Mas.

me too... I just had my Scubapro (Mk20+S600) serviced and upgraded (cold water...)
I love the 1st stage that has a piston instead of a membrane.
I love the reg, have it for over 4 yrs. Easy to breath, durable, very reliable, and well worth the money.

For what I hear... Apeks is a very good brand as well.

Good luck, and merry christmas,

Melle

andy_j_briggs:
I'm looking to get my first set of kit in the New Year having recently got my PADI AOW qualification. At the moment I'm looking at getting BCD and reg but may also get a suit. I'm planning to mainly dive on holiday in warmer water, but will also do a bit of UK diving do would need regs suitable for cold water. I don't dive all that regularly so would just be after good value equipment (without sacrificing quality) that will last and probably have low servicing costs.

I'm thinking about going for a Buddy BCD (probably the Commando) but am not sure about regulators - I was thinking about Apeks but other brands seem to be a bit cheaper such as Oceanix and Scubapro.

I'm guessing that this is a fairly common topic on here, but does anyone have any advice to give me on BCD choice or regs?

For the warm water suit purchasing it at home , pre-trip is usually a no brainer. The cost is modest and you get the peace of mind of knowing that you have a good fit and a "clean" suit.

Another regulator option is a Sherwood Blizzard. Rock solid, modest cost, very cold water capable and it includes the dry mouth avoidance of the Oasis. Works fine in warm water of course. It can be readilly serviced almost anywhere there is water.

As for the BCD you seem to be on to a brand we don't see here. If you have a chance to dive one before you buy that's always good.

The best way to become a frequent (better, polished, safer) diver is to own your own gear and to include local diving in your lifestyle. Unless you have a very, very travel oriented lifestyle.

Pete

Dive rite 2500 with the cold water kit will be more tha enought for you as far as regs .

Since the Apeks is a UK brand, I'd be inclined to go with it - probably quicker turnaround on service if you ever needed to send it back on warranty. A great many folks use Apeks here in the Puget Sound of Washington State, which is probably similar to your diving.

Keep in mind that you can probably stay in your price range by choosing something other than the top of the line Apeks. Most of their models share internal parts and design, so if cost is a factor, maybe go for the ATX 100 instead of the ATX 200, etc.

I also love my scubapro reg. I have SP BC as well and really like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom