First Liveaboard -- what to consider and expect....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a particular area or dive site is well known for certain critter(s), I tend to speak to a DM beforehand and request him/her to point them out to me. This arrangement has worked well thus far, especially as I like UW photography. In my Komodo trip on Mermaid I in June for example, Nico never breathed down my neck but always took the trouble to point out nudibranchs etc for me to photograph. It was particularly useful during muck dives.

Zofran (ondansetron) is a great anti-nausea medication that is non-sedating. Get a prescription from your doctor before you go on the boat.

I always get a bit "green" the first night, but after that it gets better.

IMGP8688.jpg

Zofran (ondansetron) is a great anti-nausea medication that is non-sedating. Get a prescription from your doctor before you go on the boat.

With all due respect Doc Harry, that is NOT good advice. Ondansetron is an excellent anti-emetic yes, but it is most effective in nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy and other forms of drug-induced symptoms. It is practically useless for motion sickness.

Twenty years ago, I would have said that you were correct Hintermann. But the use of ondansetron is now commonplace in the USA, outside of oncology clinincs, for all forms of nausea and vomiting, from sea-sickness to gastroenteritis to morning sickness. It is a fantastic medication because it is non-sedating for most people. Additionally, it is very inexpensive now and it can be dissolved under your tongue if you cannot keep anything down. It works for many people althought there is no clinical evidence or specific indication for its use in motion sickness.

Twenty years ago, I would have said that you were correct Hintermann. But the use of ondansetron is now commonplace in the USA, outside of oncology clinincs, for all forms of nausea and vomiting, from sea-sickness to gastroenteritis to morning sickness. It is a fantastic medication because it is non-sedating for most people. Additionally, it is very inexpensive now and it can be dissolved under your tongue if you cannot keep anything down. It works for many people althought there is no clinical evidence or specific indication for its use in motion sickness.

I had a friend who took only Zofran prior to a crossing from Miami to Bimini. She ended up throwing her guts up from seasickness. Anecdote is not a synonym for evidence though so YMMV.

If you're sick enough that you can't keep anything down I've heard you can take Dramamine as a suppository. That might not be the most appealing option but it's better than being violently ill.

See comment in PubMed Commons belowAviat Space Environ Med. 2009 Jul;80(7):643-6.
[h=1]Ondansetron for the prevention of seasickness in susceptible sailors: an evaluation at sea.[/h]Hershkovitz D1, Asna N, Shupak A, Kaminski G, Bar R, Tal D.
[h=3]Author information [/h]
  • 1Motion Sickness and Human Performance Laboratory, Israel Naval Medical Institute, Haifa, Israel. dov_her@zahav.net.il

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]BACKGROUND:[/h]Seasickness is a common problem, causing a significant decrement in performance among naval crew. In about 20-60% of crewmembers, symptoms appear with varying intensity depending on the sea state and the duration of the voyage. Recent studies have suggested antiemetic 5HT3 blockers as a possible treatment for motion sickness, emphasizing their minor clinical and cognitive side effects. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the 5HT3 blocker ondansetron in the prevention of seasickness.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]There were 16 volunteers with a normal otoneurologic examination and no previous medical history of inner ear disease or vertigo who took part in a double blind, randomized, crossover study. During an initial learning phase, the participants practiced on a battery of computerized performance tests until their results stabilized. Ondansetron 8 mg or placebo was administered 2 h before sailing aboard a 500-ton naval vessel in mild sea conditions. Participants did the performance tests and completed a questionnaire evaluating their seasickness symptoms 4 h into the voyage.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]No statistically significant reduction of seasickness symptoms was demonstrated between ondansetron treatment and placebo (a Wiker score of 2.69 +/- 1.78 and 2.81 +/- 1.97, respectively). There was no statistically significant difference in side effects or the results of the performance tests.
[h=4]CONCLUSION:[/h]In this study, ondansetron was not found to be beneficial in the treatment of seasickness. It could be speculated that the mechanism of nausea in seasickness is different from that of toxin-induced nausea.

PMID:19601507[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hinterman, I appreciate your efforts but...

One clinical trial with only 16 test subjects does not make for a a definitive study regarding the usefulness of ondansetron in motion sickness.

ppatin, I agree that anecodatal evidence is not useful, so I won't tell you that my spouse and I have been using ondansetron to control sea sickness for the past decade.

Today's the big day! Going on CE2 this afternoon. It has been raining a lot unfortunately here at St Kitts the past 24 hours but the crew just called us at the Marriott to see if we needed help with transportation to the boat so I guess they aren't canceling... But what is we get wet in our trip!!!!??? :)

Anyway, have my less drowsy Dramamine ready to go an excited about our trip! Will report back when we get internet again (none on the boat).

Just got back from an awesome trip! Couldn't believe I was able to do 5 dives a day! Less drowsy Dramamine worked well the first few days..didn't really need it once I got my sea legs. Truly learned a lot ore during my 25 dives than I did during my last 100! Explorer ventures crew was awesome...very safety focused yet let us dive with or without a guide after initial checkout. Can't wait to book our next one! Thanks all for the great advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom