First observed incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...
You're more trusting than I am. I can't stand it if someone else touches my gear. I think even *if* my buddies were to set it up I still wouldn't be able to suppress the urge to double check it all. Likewise the idea that my buddy would want me to set up his gear for him sounds weird. I think I'd say "it's ok, I'll wait for you".

I was speaking hypothetically. What I really meant to say was that the only people I'd trust enough to touch my gear, to say nothing about setting it up, are my buddies. And they are not available.

For the record, we don't set up each other's gear.

Having been diving 14 years and a PADI DM 13 years, I have seen the "tank slip" too often.

No matter where I go or what the circumstances, I always check my gear after it has been set up for me AND make sure the tank strap is wet THEN tighten it down. Tank straps stretch and loosen when they get wet.

One picky point: woman is singular, women is plural.

I have had my own gear since my second pool session. NO ONE has ever set it up but me and no one ever will. Once it is set up, I am the only person that moves it if it needs to be moved. I have my equipment the way that I want it for that dive. In Provo, the instructors on the boat (They served as DM's, but I will give credit for certification where it is due. They were a GREAT bunch.) gave us the option up front as to whether or not to set up our gear. No diver from our group wanted them working on our gear. Before I jump into the water, I inflate my b.c. and have the reg in my mouth (sound familar) to insure that the air is on.

I do get help routing hoses in my doubles, but I tell my dive buddy how to route and connect them if need be and look at the connection points myself. Then, I do the same for my dive buddy. We are still in complete control of our own set-ups. In recreational gear, I will dress myself.

As to the tank band, this happened to me in the pool when I got my steel tanks (single 120's) and was weighting myself out with them. This was embarrassing to say the least. But, it WAS in the pool and I learned my lesson about wetting down tank straps the easy way. I will bet that this lady never forgets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom