First Outing with G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S4L

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks,

I don't post here very frequently, but I thought I would share some photo's taken earlier this week on my first outing with a G9. I used this site and a couple others to help finally make my decision on a set-up. First off I want to thank Alcina for her links, I especially found it helpful to get a taste of what the different camera's could do by having links to photo's created by the various camera's. This helped, quite poignantly, answer the question "Will this camera satisfy my needs." I also want to thank the people that contributed their photos.

It looks like I'm going to have to stall and spread this over a couple posts.I haven't hit the magical 5 posts needed to post an image... I thought I had at least 5 posts..

Sorry

Another tidbit I found helpful was when people posted what hardware went with them underwater. With this being said, I took the plunge with the G9 in an Ikelite housing. I used the short port to utilize the wide angle lens (Inon's, not Ike's). I also had one DS160 attached to two 5" ultralite arms - as suggested by reefphoto.

To add to my post count - I'll give a little history here. My family and I went on a cruise aboard the Carnival Legend. For my shore excursions, I decided to dive. This worked out quite nicely because this gave me a taste of the various popular dive sites. Our itinerary included Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. All sites turned out to be enjoyable dives, in retrospect though, me and my dive buddy agreed that Belize was the best. The divemaster was great and the biodiversity was fantastic. Granted though, two dives per country is hardly enough to truly create a decent evaluation.

First - This is the only turtle I seen on my trip. Second turtle ever :D This photo was taken in Grand Cayman - The little fellow let me get quite close and swim along with him for a few secs. Sorry the photo is not upright... I'm still converting photo's from raw to jpeg and my computer is running veerry slow, photobucket won't rotate the image and keep it that way.

IMG_0144.jpg

This next photo isn't exactly the best, but I really do enjoy it. On this trip I was really hoping to get some good macro shots and found it surprisingly difficulty. Part of the reason was I still cannot find a single dag on nudibranch or flatworm. I did happen to find just a couple of these little fellas, but found them very challenging to get close to. Giving me even more respect for those of you who have. I did have fun trying though.

IMG_0162.jpg

This last photo was taken in Cozumel and is the first Eel spotted on the trip (pun intended :crafty: ). Second Spotted Moray in my brief underwater existence. The DM was the one to point him out as he blended with the wall pretty wall. Small little bugger.

IMG_0209.jpg

This might be it for now. The images are still being converted to jpeg and it is taking FOREVER. It is also taking me FOREVER to post these, and I'm getting tired.

I hope you enjoy?

Nice pictures, I also jumped into the world of underwater photography with a G9. How have you set your focus and metering options on the camera? I would be interested in comparing and leaning.

Thanks, Mike

nice pics thanks for posting I also use the G9

Thanks for posting those S4L. I got hooked on underwater photography a couple of years ago and have had to hold myself back from going much bigger. I shoot a Nikon P5000 with Ike housing and strobe. Are you using a stobe or the internal flash? Like I said, very nice shots. Be careful though, now you will use what you have but realize that you really would like to get a better system....then you look at housing a DSLR and realize just how inexpensive it really was to house the P&S. Still, someday I will look to house my Rebel XSi.

Thanks guys,

I kept it simple this trip. I used the DS160 TTL and used autofocus (They're was plenty of light). I was happy with the results so I kept it that way the entire trip shooting in shutter priority.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Back
Top Bottom