First pics with Canon A570IS (no strobe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aperture Priority with f-stop set to 2.6. PM me if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

That's the mode I've been using since July, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something....lol.....thanks for the comeback..........I've tried evaluting WB along with the UWWB about 50/50%, seems the UWWB works just as well........Also, for nite dives, I've just been shooting on SCN with the UW filter , a lot easier esp. @ nite with out much lites available to 'see' the camera housing, works perfect......

.... SCN with the UW filter , a lot easier esp. @ nite with out much lites available to 'see' the camera housing, works perfect......

Would you please explain further? Thanks.

Choyster--How many .RAW images can you store per memory card and are you using 1 or 2 gigabytes? Thanks.

I've been using a Nikon D70 for 3+ years on land and hardly ever bother with WB anymore since I just shoot RAW and adjust afterwards. However, I found that that technique doesn't work so well under water.

Which filter do you use? Do you lose an f-stop because of it?

Do you shoot in macro mode even when not up close? I've see some people say you should keep it in macro mode at all times. Thoughts?

Choyster--How many .RAW images can you store per memory card and are you using 1 or 2 gigabytes? Thanks.
The RAW files each come out to 8.8MB versus 1.6MB for the JPEGs. I have a 2GB card with a 50x write speed. The constraining factor for me was recycle time due to dying batteries more than anything else.

That's the mode I've been using since July, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something....lol.....thanks for the comeback..........I've tried evaluting WB along with the UWWB about 50/50%, seems the UWWB works just as well........Also, for nite dives, I've just been shooting on SCN with the UW filter , a lot easier esp. @ nite with out much lites available to 'see' the camera housing, works perfect......

Okay Joe, how about a translation? WB abd UWWB? Shootin" on SCN ?
You're scaring me!:11:

I've been using a Nikon D70 for 3+ years on land and hardly ever bother with WB anymore since I just shoot RAW and adjust afterwards. However, I found that that technique doesn't work so well under water.

Which filter do you use? Do you lose an f-stop because of it?

Do you shoot in macro mode even when not up close? I've see some people say you should keep it in macro mode at all times. Thoughts?

keep it in macro........**

Thanks! I think the camera's internal flash is fine for macro but probably benefits greatly from an external strobe on all other shots. Let me know how that magic filter works out for you as I'm tempted to get one but don't want to lose the f-stop.

That reminds me, one other technical detail is that I shot almost exclusively in Aperture Priority with it dialed all the way down to f2.6 in order to minimize shutter speed and maximize focus on my subject.

I had to use the lower f-stops in deeper & less lite conditions(like @ the Flower Gardens)----used something from 4 to 5 range in shallower great visibility places like Little Cayman(ie better lite conditions).....

Okay Joe, how about a translation? WB abd UWWB? Shootin" on SCN ?
You're scaring me!:11:

When you get the camera, I'll call you & tell you what I meant....It's really very easy, basically the way I have it set up, I'm just adjusting the f-stop--I start @ about 4.5 & go down to about 2.6(5 f-stop settings, the deeper you are the less light there is & the lower the f-stop setting needs to be)......For instance, the pictures I took @ LC of the squid(near the surface @ the end of the dives--see the post below, #19---some squid pictures are there), was shot with no flash, macro on, f-stop @ 4.5, & the WB set to the Underwater(fish icon) setting.......In fact, the pictures of you & the turtle(the one we caught 'crapping'...lol) was shot on the same settings......Let me know when you get the camera..........

EDIT:...Susan, here's one(near the suface) with those settings..
IMG_1238008.jpg

On all my nite dives(due to no lites & not being able to see the f-stops I might want to try)

I just set the camera to SCN on the Underwater filter(the fish icon).....This way it's 100% a point & shoot & the still pictures turn out good........here are some pics ........click on this link, the 1st 4 pictures were taken on SCN-Underwater setting.......
GEAUXtiger/LCthursday071207 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom