First pool session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First pool session last night(PADI Open Water). The swim wasn't pretty but I did it,and the float/tread water was easier than I thought. There were a couple of problems with my initial attempts at mask clearing that had me wanting to bolt for the surface, but I kept it together. Regulator removal and clearing were much easier than I had expected. I need a little more weight and a larger mask. Oatmeal Stout at the local brew pub helps with that dry feeling after breathing bottled air(which lasts a lot longer than in a Scott pack!). All in all, a very successful evening.

rongoodman:
<snip>...I need a little more weight and a larger mask...<snip>

Before automatically adding more weight (which you probably don't need), try to relax. The first night in the pool is always very exciting. If you can relax some, you'll find that you probably don't need the extra weight.

Glad you had fun.

Yep. There's a difference between merely exhaling and truly pushing all of the air out of your lungs. Sitting at your desk, try this: Take a breath and let it out, and then lean forward a little and push ALL the air out of your lungs. (Even if you do this, you still have a little air in your lungs. I've heard/read estimations that your lungs, if you don't fully empty them, will float about 12 lbs of lead. I don't know how true that is, but rather than adding weight, try really relaxing and really blowing out all of the air, and you'll probably be okay. If, as a new diver, you need more weight to get down, use it. As you gain more experience, you can begin shaving the weight. Good luck and have fun!

rongoodman:
First pool session last night(PADI Open Water). The swim wasn't pretty but I did it,and the float/tread water was easier than I thought. There were a couple of problems with my initial attempts at mask clearing that had me wanting to bolt for the surface, but I kept it together. All in all, a very successful evening.

Wow - sounds kind of like my first pool session! Most of my mask problems were caused by my hair (getting into the mask, getting tangled in the strap, etc). Everything gets easier with practice. Its amazing how accustomed you can become to water shooting up your nose! Keep up the good work.

As you do more and more diving then you'll need less and less weight. Dont worry about it too much at the moment, get the skills together and then work on the other stuff later. It will all pull together in a relatively short period and try not stress about getting it all right straight away. Good luck.

Your advice is excellent.

Fish_Whisperer:
I've heard/read estimations that your lungs, if you don't fully empty them, will float about 12 lbs of lead.

BTW, Try this: Empty a bc by dragging it underwater (a horse collar would be best, but they're getting hard to find). At pool side take a full breath and blow in. Weight the BC with lead in the pocket. That's (more of less) the amount of buoyancy that you can shift on your lungs. Repeat the process from a comfortable "resting" place in your breathing cycle. Now you know where you "sit" in the range. Its an interesting exercise and will help a new diver to understand how much they can actually be in control.

rongoodman:
First pool session last night(PADI Open Water). The swim wasn't pretty but I did it,and the float/tread water was easier than I thought. There were a couple of problems with my initial attempts at mask clearing that had me wanting to bolt for the surface, but I kept it together. Regulator removal and clearing were much easier than I had expected. I need a little more weight and a larger mask. Oatmeal Stout at the local brew pub helps with that dry feeling after breathing bottled air(which lasts a lot longer than in a Scott pack!). All in all, a very successful evening.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Get yourself comfortable underwater and give long inhales and exhales. As some said, you might not need the extra weights you feel. But if the weight issue really bothers you and makes you comfortable, it's not BIG problem simply adding that extra weight for training purpose.

Certainly drink lots of water too!!! Hope you will enjoy as much in the upcomnig session. Welcome to the underwater world.

Thalassamania:
Your advice is excellent.

BTW, Try this: Empty a bc by dragging it underwater (a horse collar would be best, but they're getting hard to find). At pool side take a full breath and blow in. Weight the BC with lead in the pocket. That's (more of less) the amount of buoyancy that you can shift on your lungs. Repeat the process from a comfortable "resting" place in your breathing cycle. Now you know where you "sit" in the range. Its an interesting exercise and will help a new diver to understand how much they can actually be in control.

Interesting. I'll definitely try this experiment next time I go to the pool. Thanks!

I think you'll find it a real confidence builder, it may also change your view on how much weight you need to carry<G>.

I second the " the more you dive, the less weight you'll need" When I started out, I had 14 pounds of lead in my OW class. Doing drills ( Mask removal, reg find, etc..) I still felt like I would slowly start to float up. I figured out that whenever I was about to do something stressful like that, I would instinctively take a huge breath right before i took off my mask or spit out my reg. The more I did these skills and the more comfortable I got, the less it was a problem. Now I just dive with the 6# plate of my BP/w.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom