First Reg. Atomic Z3 vs Sherwood SR2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ultimate Shield

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! First time poster and long time lurker here hoping to get some input.
I'm finally starting to put my gear together and I am ready to buy my first reg and octo. I live up in MA, and plan to do most all my diving all around New England during the late spring, summer/fall and early winter. Seeing as I am a collage student, I sadly don't have a lot of cash to throw into what can easily become a very expensive hobby. After a lot of research I had got myself pretty dead set on picking up an Atomic Z3 ($529.00) with a Z2 octo ($290), and I especially love the swivel hose feature on the Z3, but... a LDS has offered to sell me a Sherwood SR2 for $590 (not sure on an octo to go with it yet). From what I see online, this is a great price for the Sherwood, but I honestly don't know and cant find much about the SR2 reg.

So I guess my question is have any of you tried either of these and whether or not I'd be better off sticking with the Atomics or if I should go for the Sherwood deal.

Last edited:
I would go with the Z3 or even a Z2, as I don't think the swivel is work the extra money. The SR2 is an update of the SR1 which received fantastic reviews from the diving press and complaints from the divers.

I have both. Started out with the Sherwood SR1. Later bought an Atomic Z2. Now the Sherwood is strictly for pool work and the Atomic is my everyday Regulator. I know mine are one generation from your question but the Atomic's are well engineered regulators that have the industry's respect. Sherwoods...well...they are OK but nothing to get too excited about.

Just my opinion...:)

Thanks so much for the input guys. I'm definitely going to go with the Atomics. The overall lack of info in the Sherwood had me pretty concerned about it anyways. I may even save up a little while longer just to get the B2 reg with a Z2 octo.
Thanks Again!

Last edited:
All Atomics breathe identical (?), the price difference is based on materials used and/or swivel.

Given those two choices, I agree with the others, Atomic.

You mentioned diving mostly in MA. To me in FL, that means cold water. If that is the case and you are looking for environmental sealing, you should know that diaphragm regs are much easier to environmentally seal than piston regs. The Atomics can be sealed with chrystolube, which adds cost when it comes time to service. If you planned to have the reg sealed, you may want to look at the Zeagle line. The Zeagle regs are now made in the same factory as Atomic, but Zeagle first stages are all diapgragm. The Flathead 7, Onyx CW, & DS-V are all environmentally sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom