First Regulator - Used or Budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geardunkin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good regulator for colder water diving. I'm in the midwest and intend to do a fair amount of local dives. I'm drawn to the previous generation of Aqualung Legend regulators because they have a great reputation and I can pick up a set for a few hundred bucks. How bad of an idea is this? I know I'd have to pay to have them serviced, but it seems like a pretty big cost savings over new. Any other used sets you'd recommend that might fit the bill?

In lieu of going for used, can you make some recommendations that are appropriate for colder conditions but won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Dive Rite xt4/xt1 are popular in the midwest for a reason.

Hog, same thing, but uglier. Deep6 same but blingier.

Oh the Dive Rite is pretty compelling. And there's a dealer in town! Still quite a bit more than the used legends though, almost double.

It's going to cost you $100-150 for service. How much will you save with that factored in?

If there’s a specific reg I want, I tend to prefer used to buying something budget but new. You do have to be more careful when buying used - get lots of photos, ask about its history, current condition, last time serviced etc. And of course budget for it to be serviced once it’s in your hands.

But if you do your due diligence, you can get some great deals on used gear; I just bought used doubles regs from a SB member, and am really happy with them! I would likely have not spent the cash on what they would cost new and really wanted that specific brand/model.

Used is fine if you know what to look for, do not hesitate to ping the board if you find something. Just doe so before ya buy. Also verify what service might cost.

That said, there are several folks the board who for fun (i.e. not profit) rebuild regs. Not sure if any focus on Aqualung. I focus on Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom