First steps on the road . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, JB isn't pumping nearly as hard as it was 2 years ago. It won't be difficult.

Congratulations! Those are some great photos too! I was fortunate enough to dive with German last June on Cozumel - He's very professional, and showed us two great systems. You'll love the FL caves too, even though they don't have all the cave decorations like Mexico.

At some point, when we are back in Mexico (and we will be), I want to go over to Cozumel and dive the cenotes there with German. He says they are very different.

Doing it right (no pun intended) you can make it to the Hill400 jump from the eye in Ginnie. Of course it takes a little practice and lots of 'funstration'

The CO2 headache I got from challenging the lips was enough for me to stay away from Ginnie.

The CO2 headache I got from challenging the lips was enough for me to stay away from Ginnie.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the Lips are getting harder and harder to get through, due to the handholds being worn down over the years as more and more people take up cave diving.

The main thing to remember about Ginnie is that it's all about technique. Make sure and stay up high through the Gallery, and then pull and glide as much as possible. Once you get past the Main Junction, it gets a little easier. Of course, on sixths of doubles and restricted to the main line, you are pretty much going to spend your entire dive in the worst part of the flow.

Guess you will just have to do some more cave training. :D

Congratulations! Those are some great photos too! I was fortunate enough to dive with German last June on Cozumel - He's very professional, and showed us two great systems....

Which ones did you do?

KevRumbo:

Do you mean the one where you keep the reel hand (let's just call it the left hand) still, and bring the right hand over - palm up,- line in hand, and do a wrist-roll (palm turning towards yourself - twice?)

That's kinda neat, but I've found it doesn't work worth shiite in wrecks with dry-gloves on :wink:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the Lips are getting harder and harder to get through, due to the handholds being worn down over the years as more and more people take up cave diving.

The main thing to remember about Ginnie is that it's all about technique. Make sure and stay up high through the Gallery, and then pull and glide as much as possible. Once you get past the Main Junction, it gets a little easier. Of course, on sixths of doubles and restricted to the main line, you are pretty much going to spend your entire dive in the worst part of the flow.

Guess you will just have to do some more cave training. :D

My instructor had some fun at my expense. My first drysuit dive in a cave, and about my third drysuit dive overall, he hands me the reel, and tells me to lead the team of 3 in... the long way. I think it was a week or two after the goldline had been moved to the ceiling. I can remember finally getting to the goldline and it looking like it was 20 stories in the air as tired as I was.

I did the tie off, made it maybe 100ft decided to turn (near thirds anyway as I was on my 80s) and my head was POUNDING. I thought back to my low stress dives at Peacock, and decided that I'd leave devils to the scooter guys, and just enjoy Madison and Peacock for a while.

I cave dive to relax and have a good time. If I want a workout, I'll go for a run or get on my bike. And I darn sure don't need to blow a tank of fuel and $30 at the gate for the pleasure.

I cave dive to relax and have a good time. If I want a workout, I'll go for a run or get on my bike. And I darn sure don't need to blow a tank of fuel and $30 at the gate for the pleasure.

I have to agree on that. Ginnie seems way overpriced to me, especially when you consider that there are numerous other places around where you can have about as much fun for a lot less. If you have a Florida State Park pass (which I'm sure you do), then it's even cheaper.

Exactly. I can get myself and 3 of my closest diving buddies into the state parks for $80 a year. With Wakulla nearby, Madison, Peacock, Manatee, etc., Ginnie looks less and less a bargain.

Ceiling walk, my friend! The absolute best way to get through the Lips.

Ceiling walking is most efficient using your fin tips, not your heels as most people do. When my instructor was talking about this technique he said to think like you're walking on your tippy-toes and that will get your feet in the correct position, great little tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom