First steps on the road . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing it right (no pun intended) you can make it to the Hill400 jump from the eye in Ginnie. Of course it takes a little practice and lots of 'funstration'

Agreed... Hill 400 is quite doable on 6ths. That is where I normally drop the 80cf stage using 1/2 plus 200.

Which ones did you do?

KevRumbo:

Do you mean the one where you keep the reel hand (let's just call it the left hand) still, and bring the right hand over - palm up,- line in hand, and do a wrist-roll (palm turning towards yourself - twice?)

That's kinda neat, but I've found it doesn't work worth shiite in wrecks with dry-gloves on :wink:
No . . .it's a closed wrap with a locking hitch --all dexterously done with only the left hand manipulating the reel.

The technique you're describing is what I try to use inside a wreck most of the time: right hand palm up, wind line once anti-clockwise around outside thumb & fingers and cross the line's tail; twist by pronating left hand and simultaneously place wrap over object (stanchion, pole, cleat etc).

We dove "Aerolito de Paraiso" and "One Click". Both were pretty, but we all liked "One Click" the best despite the long hike to it! We want to go to the Yucatan next time, because we haven't been there yet.

I saw German do it -- it looks like he almost "throws" the reel around the line. It's very smooth and fast, and I wouldn't even try it!

It's freaky slight-of-hand smooth the way German does it --I've only done it once since on land drills, and haven't been able to repeat it.

The Aerolito de Paraiso on Cozumel is nice (Cavern part); be sure to explore it soon before they start developing the area with another new resort. . .

As it turned out, the only time I needed any assistance at all was managing the last step up to the platform from the ladder at Grand Cenote.

I have trouble getting up that last step! Maybe in April, I'll bring some extra wood and nails and put another step there.

For those of you that would like to join us, here are the tentative plans for December:

Saturday, 12/1 - Lynne and Peter will be leaving Orlando around noon.
Arrival in High Springs between 2 and 3.
Possible afternoon/evening dive in the Ginnie Ballroom that day to get trimmed out.

Sunday, 12/2 - A couple of dives in Devil's. I know what you mean about diving Devil's, but you can't drive through High Springs without diving it a couple of times. Besides, it's one of the few caves around that still has some decent flow to it!
If all goes well and noone is too worn out, we may head over to Peacock for a couple of dives there in the afternoon.
Off to Marianna that evening.

Monday, 12/3 - Spend the day diving JB. Probably spend some time on the main line getting to know the cave. BTW, the flow has increased slightly since we got hit with rain last week. I actually had to keep finning to maintain my position during my deco. I haven't had to do that in a while!

Tuesday, 12/4 - Another day at JB. We've got some special dives planned for this day. All will be within the limitations of Intro of course, but Lynne and Peter will be seeing parts of the cave that I'm sure some don't even know exist.

We thought about possibly heading to Twin but decided that will be better left to full cave level. And Hole in the Wall will probably not be at its best in December. Something tells me that Lynne and Peter will be back here, though!

We dove "Aerolito de Paraiso" and "One Click". Both were pretty, but we all liked "One Click" the best despite the long hike to it! We want to go to the Yucatan next time, because we haven't been there yet.

Hmmm, one click huh?

Is it crazy to ask if you have a ballpark idea of where that is?

Hmmm, one click huh?

Is it crazy to ask if you have a ballpark idea of where that is?

Not really. We drove south on the main highway out of San Miguel for aways, did a u-turn, pulled off at a seemingly random spot, got geared up on the back of the truck, hiked inland down a game trail for ~200yds to an over-sized mud puddle. A very thin line is tied to the log in the middle, which leads to clear water and the cave entrance to the East. I would have never found this place, which is why we hired German, and the dives were worth every penny and then some!

Not really. We drove south on the main highway out of San Miguel for aways, did a u-turn, pulled off at a seemingly random spot, got geared up on the back of the truck, hiked inland down a game trail for ~200yds to an over-sized mud puddle. A very thin line is tied to the log in the middle, which leads to clear water and the cave entrance to the East. I would have never found this place, which is why we hired German, and the dives were worth every penny and then some!

Ya, I don't know how they do it. You just described at least 5 other locations there as well :)

I barely found one the very next day when I went back without a guide to take some pics.

If it wouldn't have been for that broken chair on the right side of the road in the ditch, a smidge past the entrance to some place, I would have been lost. Unfortunately the chair is now gone. :wink:

If it wouldn't have been for that broken chair on the right side of the road in the ditch, a smidge past the entrance to some place, I would have been lost. Unfortunately the chair is now gone. :wink:

That sounds like how we give directions in the South:

"You go on down the road a piece until you pass the spot where Darrell ran his tractor in the ditch that time. Make a left and head on over to where Elmer's dog got run over a couple years ago - you know, the spotted tick hound with only one eye, NOT the black one with a club tail - and then you make a right. Keep goin' thataway until just before the spot where Miss Ellie used to have her produce stand, and it's on your left. YOU CAN'T MISS IT."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom