First-Time blending of my own Nitrox...Amateur Here...Looking for your Thoughts!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any recommendations on how to find a small HP O2 leak? O2 analyzer...but how to get O2 to its sensor?

I'm sure it would be easy to "sniff" around with a small glowing ember from a recently lit match, but I'd rather die flying.

Same as with any small pressure leak - soapy water mix on each connection.

Though youre favorite brand of Cuban cigar would work as you suggested but the leak would have to be big enough to hear really to see a change in the cigar. But your wife wouldn't know that :wink:

The soapy water is a finer test.

LOL, good thing I'm not drinking a fizzy drink right now... right out of my nose. Nice bipe by the way!

Soap and water it is...

And I should probably go to work now...

Nice bipe by the way!

Ah yes. Its my picture of retirement nirvana....nothing says biplane like a Stearman...or maybe a TigerMoth, but I digress...

Pictures

Honda GC-160 gasoline engine driven, 3-stage, 3kPSI AIR compressor, designed for flamethrower tank pressurization:

Full View:

Air Compressor Full View.jpg

Air Compressor View 1:

Air Compressor View 1.jpg

Air compressor faceplate:

Resize of Air Compressor Faceplate.jpg

Air compressor Engine/Pump Mechanical Flange: Not so easy to convert this compressor to electric... but I guess it's possible.

Engine-to-compressor Flange.jpg

Air compressor SCUBA output filter and CO/RH indicating widget (brass piece with sightglass):
The gray filter has a cap that can be unscrewed, and the old media changed out. The filter itself screws straight down onto the 1/4NPT Male output of the above AIR compressor. 1/4NPT Female is built into the end of the filter.

Air Compressor Output Filter and RH_CO Indicator.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

Invacare Oxygen Concentrator (low-pressure 2 Liters-per-minute output) faceplate:

Resize of 2LPM Oxygen Concentrator.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

Invacare Oxygen Compressor (2000PSI) View 1:

Resize of Oxygen Compressor View 1.jpg

Invacare Oxygen Compressor (2000PSI) View 2:

Resize of Oxygen Compressor View 2.jpg

Invacare Oxygen Compressor (2000PSI) View 3:

Resize of Oxygen Compressor View 3.jpg

Attachments

• Air Compressor Faceplate.jpg
    Air Compressor Faceplate.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 196
I dont see any kind of snorkle or suction tube to prevent sucking on exhaust. Also you should look at getting a good filter stack for the compressor output.

I thoroughly enjoy when people build home blending stations "to save money". I'd not give mine up for the world, as I value the convenience, but it's certainly not cheaper than having someone else do it.

I thoroughly enjoy when people build home blending stations "to save money". I'd not give mine up for the world, as I value the convenience, but it's certainly not cheaper than having someone else do it.

"That's the fact Jack!" - Bill Murray, Stripes

i beg to differ. My compressor paid for itself in the first year and a half, and at a cost of around $2.00 a fill vs $10.00 a fill it is still today an excellent investment. Let alone the fact that no one in my county offers nitrox. I would do it the same way all over again.

KWS, good point. I think the guy before me was relying on the cooling fan blowing straight onto the intake, as well as an output HP air filter to provide breathable air. He had this 2" (I.D.) x 14" long cylindrical filter packed with what looks like 33% 13X molecular sieve (dessicant) on the input end, then the rest (66%) activated carbon. However, there does NOT appear to be any Hopcalite. I'd very much like to use this, ESPECIALLY since I'm running a gasoline engine powered compressor (CO generation). I'd like the Hopcalite within the same canister filter if possible.

As I understand it:

Input HP Air ----> Dessicant ----> Hopcalite/Exotics ---> Activated Carbon ---> Filter Output to 1st Stage

My "Cornelius" 3kPSI Filter Housing is at the bottom of this page: des_act_alum.jpg

Also, as you suggested KWS, I'll add an exhaust tube going downwind and at ground level, and an intake air tube pointed upwind and up high. If I can get an exhaust filter I'll put it on there too.

How is it normally done with CO-factories like this little 3.5CFM gas engine driven compressor?

Thoughts anyone? If it's a bad day, and the wind is variable, do you think the activated carbon in this filter would be able to handle the extra CO2 load (after the Hopcalite converts it... CO ---> CO2)?

​On a slightly different note, "The Oxygen Hacker's Companion" arrives at my door tomorrow... I can't wait.

Thank you All.

Last edited:
As I understand it:

Input HP Air ----> Dessicant ----> Hopcalite/Exotics ---> Activated Carbon ---> Filter Output to 1st Stage

Err. well not really. All the filtering is ususally on the backend, though I have a hepa filter on my intake tube. You want the filtering to take out everything including what the compressor puts inthe air stream. You could do what you are saying, but then you'd also do it on the back end because the chems work best under lots of pressure ie dwell time - so not really done the frontend way. I'm sure you've been doing searches for info and maybe come across my rebuild thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...833-rix-sa-6-rebuild-winter-project.htmlCheck - there is a great discussion on filtering towards the end as I just went through this myself and I just got my test kit, but not done my testing yet. Iain Middlebrook is a great wealth of knowledge and does show up here with reasonable frequency....

Back
Top Bottom