First time buying gear / newbie question / Thank you in advance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPro will not honor any warranty online as with a lot of other manufacturers. In fact, if I remember correctly, ScubaPro only recognized warranty for the original owner purchased from an authorized dealer. If you are the original owner purchased from an authorized dealer, I believe the "Free Part for life" program covers you around the world. ScubaPro makes excellent product, personally, I think its MK25 is not the best product in its line up, MK17 is. I dive with MK17, it's an awesome regulator. I had it at 80 in 40 degree water, and it breathes like a champ.

1island:
I was looking at a Scubapro regulator set up. The proprietor of the dive shop stated that the regulator would NEED to be serviced every year. Does that sound correct? Is this the same for every brand of Regulator?
It's a good idea to be skeptical of advice from somebody with such an obvious vested interest. From an Undercurrent article last year questioning the necessity of annual regulator service:

Vance Harlow, author of the manual Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair, says, “while I personally feel the every year annual is usually overkill and mostly exists as a cash cow for dive shops, it would be difficult to come up with a firm one-size-fits-all recommendation to replace it.” He adds: “My personal regulators often go for 2-3 years, or longer, between servicing, but then I am in pretty good touch with how they are feeling.”

Annual service is not necessity, it's ScubaPro's policy. If you don't service annually, you will lose your warranty. Atomic is every two years. That's how those companies make money off you.

1island:
Another question… let’s say I buy the Scubapro Regulator set up, and then move to another state, thus I will be frequenting another Dive shop, will the new dive shop honor the “free parts” or warranty on the Scubapro gear? Has anyone run into issues when they move and change dive shops?
I've used 5 different shops to service my Scubapro regs over the years. No one has ever cared and they shouldn't. The shop I bought it at is long gone so it's not like I could take it there if I wanted to.

mattboy:
Ask your dive shop how much the annual service is, and listen to the guy go on and on about the value of "free parts for life." Really it's not so great a deal, as parts are cheap and regulators rarely fail due to design or manufacturing defect, so the warranty is not worth much IMO.
Parts may be cheap for the shop, but what they will charge you for them if they're not under a "free parts" thing varies a lot so watch out for that.

Damselfish:
Parts may be cheap for the shop, but what they will charge you for them if they're not under a "free parts" thing varies a lot so watch out for that.

That's a good point, and yet another reason why I was fortunate to find a tech who's work I trust and charges a (very) reasonable price, regardless of where I bought the reg.

You should get a palstic card when you purchase a ScubaPro from an authorized shop(they dont send them with an internet sale)the card gets you the free parts for life. By the way,I use the 600 and I LOVE it!!

1island:
I am looking at purchasing dive gear for both myself and my fiancé in the near future.

I was looking at a Scubapro regulator set up. The proprietor of the dive shop stated that the regulator would NEED to be serviced every year. Does that sound correct? Is this the same for every brand of Regulator?

Side question… would you go with the Scubapro MK25/S600 or an AquaLung Legend LX Regulator?

Need is a subjective term in this case. While the reg may not NEED the service due to wear, it does NEED to be serviced yearly in order to maintain the factory warranty for free parts.

My regs get serviced 1-2 times/year depending on wich reg and how much use. I have three regs.

As to Sp or AL, I am partial to Aqualung, I have two Legend LX and one Titan Micra ADJ. I have tried the SP regs and prefer Aqualung. But that is MY personal preference. You may decide the opposite.

My advise is try them both before you buy. Buy what works best for you AFTER you dive with it. Ask your LDS if he/she will apply the rental fee (or a portion of it) to the purchase price.

The best equipment for you is the equipment that best meets your comfort, budget, needs, wants, desires and does not leave you with buyers remorse.

Back
Top Bottom