First Time Diver to Key Largo Info Request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSltr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be travelling to Key Largo, with my son, for the first time the week of 12 -18 September. We are new divers and will be diving with Horizon Divers. We plan on taking PADI UW Navigation. Looking for recommendations on exposure protection and whether the morning or the afternoon diving is generally better. Also interested in what conditions (wave, current, water temp, etc) are most likely to be during this time of year. Thanks in advance

It will be pretty warm. Your cold tolerance is personal and people will reply with everything from board shorts and a rash guard to 7 mil suits. In September, I'm usually in a rash guard or a wetsuit farmer or a wetsuit long-sleeve shorty that time of year. But last week I dove Boynton wearing the entire suit. Truly, we cannot accurately reply to this question for you. If you have exposure protection, bring it.

Waves and currents are unpredictable more than a day or two out, so we can't reply to that. Generally speaking, morning dives have better conditions but most of the time afternoons are great too.

Come on down and enjoy the dives! Horizon is great, and you'll enjoy Capt. Bates.

I went about 6 weeks ago. The water was warm (mid 80s). It might be a bit cooler in a couple of weeks but I would not expect it to cool off much. I dove in a skin. But then again, I almost always dive in a skin even when my wife is shivering in a 3mm wet suit.

There was little to no current when I was there. But we dove the shallow reefs. If you get out into deeper water, I would expect more current.

Generally, the morning is going to be as flat as it is going to get. But they call it weather because it is unpredictable.

When I was there, it was pretty flat every day. But there have been hurricanes stirring things up out in the Atlantic as of late so it could get pretty rough. Of course, it could be reasonably calm too. It just depends on where the next storm system coming out of off the coast of Africa goes to.

Will be travelling to Key Largo, with my son, for the first time the week of 12 -18 September. We are new divers and will be diving with Horizon Divers. We plan on taking PADI UW Navigation. Looking for recommendations on exposure protection and whether the morning or the afternoon diving is generally better. Also interested in what conditions (wave, current, water temp, etc) are most likely to be during this time of year. Thanks in advance

3MM full is what I used last year about that same time and was completely comfortable (but then again, that is what I usually dive in these days: if temps drop, I add a 2MM shorty under the 3MM full). This link will give you the NOAA marine forecast:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/gm/gmz052.txt

I would agree with DebbieDiver and PatW in that the morning tends to be better (based on my experience), if the morning is good and there are no incoming storms, the afternoon might well be reasonable (or every once in a while, better) too. Between the marine forecast and weather forecast, you'll be able to determine if you want AM or PM dives a couple of days before you intend to dive.

Also, marine conditions inside the reef are normally calmer. Current is normally very light or missing completely on the shallow reefs too. If there is some surface wave action inside the reef, you might have some back and forth surge at depth on the shallow reef dives. On deeper wrecks outside the reef line, marine conditions tend to be worse and current can be plenty robust. I've been lucky and have hardly ever experienced terribe currents in Key Largo: even on the wreck dives. But a friend of mine almost had his mask blown off while grasping the mooring line while taking a safety stop on the Bibb.

Enjoy the diving!

I'm prone to cold and I usually use a 3 mil this time of year. Unless there is a strange thermocline or your teeth chatter walking through the frozen food section of the grocery you should be fine. Currents vary day to day and at times minute to minute. Capt Bob is good about letting you know estimated waves (based on known wind speeds forecasts) before you go out, but even this can change while you are out. They have an awesome staff and crew at Horizon. That's who I dive with every time I go to the Keys. Hope you have a wonderful time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom