First time long distance dive trip and night dive, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick:
Tigerman, thanks for many replies. Is it important to dive at the same site during the day time before doing the night dive? The dive op never told anything about that. In fact, I don't even know where in John Pennekemp would I be diving at night...
I can only reply based on what Ive learned (and so far kept to).
According to PADI, you should always do a daytime dive where you plan to do a night dive, in order to get familiar with the area.
What is very differen when diving at night is that you dont see anything except from where you point your light, unless of course its not completely dark. Therefore, knowing the site before you dive can be very helpful if you should need to navigate there for whatever reason. I guess youll be diving with a guide tho? The certification organizations dont exactly have underwater cops with a blue light and a siren coming after you down there, so they cant stop you, just like they cant stop people from diving solo. There is however the remote possibility that you get separated from the group and need to find land. Of course, the procedure for that eventuality is to do a quick search for your group and then surface, so its unlikely. Also, if you turn off the light under water, you should be able to see the other lights.
The fact that you only see what you point the light at is the very thing that makes it so intense. Its only you (and the other divers) out there and the rest of the world is just.. gone. Its SO relaxing doing a nice night dive. And as sure as you slept well after the first dives you did, so you will after night dives, once you have processed the experience that is :)

Ok, First Night Dive, DON'T take your camera.
There is far to much going on to worry about a camera as well.

First salt water dive. Tell the DM's that this is your first salt water dive and you don't know your weights. Try and be prepared to get in the water quickly so you can tell the DM's if you are light or heavy.

Have a fantastic trip and relax and enjoy every minute of your dives.

In addition to what others have said, I always carry on my mask too. So my carryon is mask, computer, regs, and camera (if I have one). I'd pack the regs before I packed the mask.

OH and dont forget to talk to everyone about turning off the lights and checking out the phosflurescence. This is good to do at the end of the dive when doing the ascent or right before surfacing but make sure everyone knows about this before hitting the water. I find night dives to be my most relaxing but of course I was pretty freaked out when I hit the water and it didnt help that I was nervous and my reg started to free flow but I got calm quick knowing I was with a very experienced DM on that dive.

You didn't say whether or not the night dive was going to be the first of your trip. I strongly advise that you should get in at least one if not two days of diving before doing your night dive. And as another poster has recommended, I'd leave the camera behind on your first night dive.

In general, it is best when possible to avoid introducing too many new things on a single dive. You are doing your first saltwater dives and need to adjust your weighting, even if using the same gear as for your previous freshwater dives.

The only tip I'll add in about night dive technique is that most SPG dials are phosphorescent, so to look at the SPG you can hold your light hard up against the gauge face to charge it up, and the just read it by the glow for a few minutes. For some reason or another, I didn't figure this out until about my 10th night dive. :)

ppatrick:
Can you tell me where is this WorldWide Watersport?
They are oceanside in the large shopping plaza just beyond the MM100 marina. You will pass a couple other pretty good stores on the way on in --- one up around MM104, and then there is also a Divers Direct (same company as Worldwide Watersports) in Florida City, the last city on the mainland.

Lots of competition. Good variety of gear. Good prices.

Hey Patrick:

Diving in the Keys is GREAT, you will love it. All the advice given here is very worthwhile, some members have made excellent suggestions.

Salt water diving does require weight changes. The type of cylinder used by the boat operator (probably an Aluminum 80) may also change your weighting if you use or were trained on steel tanks.

Night diving is REALLY cool, but it can be a little scary the first time because you lose all reference points when you enter the water. Some people also "worry" about what they "can't" see. I'd suggest speaking to your buddy about your plan for staying together and what to do if you get separated. When descending, look to a fixed point on the bottom using your light and then try and "get yourself together" when you get down there. Relax a few minutes and then start looking around. When ascending, illuminate your bubbles to provide a reference. And, MOST importantly, DON'T shine your light in other diver's faces. Know where the light beam is pointed at ALL times. This is probably the biggest issue for novice night divers.

Colors on night dives are spectacularly different than during the day. The reef also comes ALIVE at night, especially on the "small" scale. Take time to look at the coral and all the little critters. Also, look for sleeping fish under the coral. I've often got to see MORE on night dives because the area I could look at was substantially LESS.

As far as lights go, since you are doing only one night dive, see if you can rent at least a halogen 8 battery light and I'd advise you to take your own batteries along and even consider changing them. Test the light and make certain it works. See if a spare bulb is inside the light, if not ask the shop to tape one just inside the canister. Remember to wipe the bulb with a towel if you need to change it. Rental lights are notorious for failing because of the abuse they get. Renting a hand-held HID light is now a possibility, but keep in mind that proper use is essential for a light this bright.

For the small back-up light, I'd suggest purchasing a Princeton Tec light such as this. Get rid of the lanyard. Get 2 tank valve "O" rings, a small brass or stainless slide clip and a plastic wire tie. Run the wire tie trough the hole in the light, wrap both "O" rings around the bottom of the clip, zip the wire tie through the "O" rings, pull it tight and trim it. Now you can clip the light to any "D" ring on your BCD so you won't lose it and it's easy to find. I also carry a small waterproof strobe, rigged as above, "just in case." This way, if I get separated or "lost," I can activate it on the surface. Sure beats coming ashore in Cuba! A glow stick on the tank is also a good idea.

Anyway, it's Monday and I felt a little wordy. Hope your trip goes well!

A couple more ideas:

Bring one of the small colored lights for the top of your tank. Depending on color (red, blue, yellow, whatever) it really helps you and your buddy pick each other out of the crowd. Some operators require them for night dives.

If you lose buddy, cover or turn off your light, likely you'll see the glow of buddy's light and off you go.

Hand signals are harder, because you have to shine your light on them so buddy can see them. Light signals work, shine yours onto buddy's light signal, circle means Okay, back and forth means No or problem.

And obviously, keep you light out of others' eyes.

Most of what you need to know will fall into place in the first few minutes. Enjoy.

Please check with the Dive Op you are using to make sure what they require for an open ocean dive. Most require a whistle and safety sausage. I would also STRONGLY recommend that you hire a guide/divemaster to go with you on your first couple of dives, and maybe even the night dive, so that you can get used to your weighting and navigating without having to worry about getting lost. That way you are also assured of having some ready help if needed. You need to listen carefully to the briefings about exit and return to the boat, dive times or bottom limits, etc... Be sure to be honest with the Dive Op about your experience, and needs, and most of them will do their best to make sure you have a great time!!!

Carry on your reg, comp, camera, log book and C card. If you can carrying on your mask is a good idea too.

Just take it easy and don't exceed your comfort level. Night diving can be a truly awesome experience. You can dive a reef in daylight than dive it again after the sun goes down and it's like 2 different worlds.

Have a great trip.

World Watersports is here:

http://www.worldwatersports.com/kl2.php

I would go with two tanks (no brainer!) since the price is the same. You'll also find they normally when you enter the water for your night dive, it isn't fully dark out yet. Once you are under, it gets dark and you have your night dive.

Back
Top Bottom