First time photos from march trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great subjects and composition for a first timer. You are doing very well. You also have a rig that will allow you to progress to very complex shots.

2 areas to maybe work on next
- exposure (learn to shoot manual or play with exposure settings)
- macro focus.

Exposure: The nurse shark under the overhang is a good example of a picture where TTL flash often does not work. The white sand in the background is over exposed and the shark is under exposed. You really don't care about the sand, you want the shark exposed properly. A white sand background confuses many camera in auto mode. This is when shooting manual comes in handy. Using a high shutter, high aperature and only depending on strobe light (no ambient light at all) would give you great shark colors with a black background.

Macro focus: your sea horse has great composition, but focus seems be be slightly behind the sea horse. When shooting close in, you often have a narrow depth of field. So take lots of shots with the focus locked and the camera at slightly different distances. The flamingo tongue is in focus, so the camera can get that close.

You will be learning under water photo at the same time as you are learning your camera. So 2 challenges.

One practice that has worked for me is to take multiple slightly different shots of the same thing. You can vary the distance, the amount of zoom, the angle, the framing, the exposure, the strobe angle, the strobe distance, .... Then review each set of similar shots to determine which works best for the type of photo you like. Extra shots cost nothing and are easy to delete.

And do not be afraid to practice at home above water. A closet works great for learning to use a strobe.

Thanks Giffenk for the advice. I definitely have plenty to work and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity.

PH

Thanks Giffenk for the advice. I definitely have plenty to work and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity.

PH

PH, saw this post pop up again & forgot to say in my previous response to get to a pool & do some practice 'shooting', can't hurt anything & 9 outta 10 times will be helpful..I do from time to time---& record what I shot with/on...helpful for quick reviews....click this link.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157632341365200/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom