First time to 60 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke Fosburg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
This is my first post on here but I feel like I need to ask some questions. I have been diving for about 3 months now. I am NAUI certified in SD, and NITROX. I am working on my Advanced cert and only have 2 dives left to do. I am going out this Saturday morning to dive 2 wrecks in Lake Erie. It will be my first boat dive as well as my first "deep" dive. Its not that deep but it will be my first time down to 60 feet. Previously I have not exceeded 35. I feel fairly comfortable with my abilities, I have great equipment and I intend on taking a redundant air source. I am a little scared about going to 60 feet and just want to know if any of you have any advice or could give me tips to help me relax and stay safe. Thanks

Make sure your buddy knows that you're nervous and take it slow. Make sure that you've done all your checks so you can take a few relaxing breaths without worrying about anything before you descend.
You won't feel any difference between 35' and 60', other than it getting colder and clearing your ears again as you descend, so relax and enjoy. Don't let the probable crappy vis, (it is Lake Erie after all LOL), bother you. Remember, as long as you are breathing, there is no need to get overanxious.

I don't believe in pony bottles personally, so I wouldn't worry about it, you are shallow enough for a CESA, you have a buddy, etc. I think that if you are concerned about redundant gas supplies you should go to an h-valve, doubles, or sidemount personally, but that's just my opinion on that.

60' is deep but not that deep and you have been through training that has prepared you to dive far deeper than that. The biggest danger at that depth is inside of your own head.

60 is just like 35....maybe darker depending on where you are. Equalize early and often. Watch your air, watch your computer. Come up slowly and don't forget your safety stop. Main difference is you will use air faster than you would at 30 feet.

Other than your computer reading deeper, my bet is you won't be able to tell a difference from 30 feet.

Have fun,
Jay

You'll definitely dive with a buddy, yes? Good.

Pay attention to your computer, but even more attention to your pressure gauge, since for new divers at 60 feet, the limiting factor is usually PSI rather than nitrogen absorption. Be clear with buddy on how you signal air remaining, and when (2000, 1500, 1000 is standard).

Most new divers (or old divers) don't carry an extra cylinder, especially with a buddy, and it might get in your way. Your buddy is your "extra" air, and vice-versa. Better to rely on your main tank, and your buddy's.

From a mental perspective, maybe just keep in mind that it doesn't matter whether you're at 35 feet or 60 feet or more--you are too deep to be able to bolt to the surface without injuring yourself. If you're on scuba and more than a few feet deep, all the same rules regarding a proper ascent apply regardless of depth. The number of feet that will be your maximum depth is just a mere number that goes into planning how long you can stay down and how much gas you will breathe. Doesn't matter what the number is. Same rules apply. At least that's how I like to think about it when I am pushing a greater depth than I have previously been comfortable with. As an aside, I think it's great that you are expanding your comfort zone SLOWLY.

oh, and remember that you will be using air ~1.5x as fast as you do at 35 ft, so make sure that you plan your depth limits appropriately using a rock bottom type equation

My advice, it having been not that long since I was in your shoes, slow down.

First boat dive, first dives to 60ft, a lot of firsts and as a new diver its just going to feel like there is SO MUCH to check, have ready, is this right, is that right, where is this, what should I do now, is it my turn to walk to the back of the boat for the giant stride, etc etc...

Just take deep breaths, relax and slow down, there is no rush. As others have said you'll use air much faster at that depth so just make sure you are checking your gauge/computer and you've discussed with buddy turn psi, etc.

Just remember, slow down, if you start feeling rushed in anyway or anxious in anyway just slow down, breath nice and slow, make sure and clear your ears early and often and just take your time.

Once you're back on the boat you'll be amused that you were nervous about it at all, 60 ft, 30 ft, not that different, just take your time.

----

CESA is controlled emergency swimming ascent

If you can't get to a buddy and you don't have an alternate air supply it's what you would do if you run out of air or have some other type of issue wherein you have no air. Stick with your buddy, watch your gauge and you'll be fine.

Reactions: tep
when I did my deep dives I didn't even notice the difference until I look at my depth meter! Honestly I was more scared of jumping from the boat LOL
I'm assuming that you'll be with a DM so just follow their lead and think of it as a regular dive. For my own comfort I checked my air and clear my ears often (probably more often than necessary)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom