First time to Grand Cayman - Must dos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find bringing a yoga mat to the blow holes and spending some time meditating to be very relaxing.

Take your wife to Smiths Cove ("Smiths Barcaderie") in South Sound. It's a nice little beach.

Wine tasting or dinner in Camana Bay is a good night out.

Hiking the Mastic Trail is also good, but the entrance by the fire station on Frank Sound Road may be flooded and/or muddy in September, so use the north entrance.

The queen's gardens are a good spot to go find blue iguanas.

Someone else already mentioned Turtle Reef. Good meals there too.

Sunday brunch at Tukka's. You'll go broke, but it's a vacation so live a little.

Edited to add the Cayman Turtle Farm. But I don't think you need to do the whole swim with the dolphins thing. And if you are curious about trying turtle, Myrtle's restaurant on 7-mile beach (next to Fidel Murphy's) has turtle burgers and soup.

And enjoy yourself.

I would boycott the Turtle Farm personally as well as the dolphin experience. Captive turtles and the sale of turtle meat and shells just help to support the market.
Captive dolphins; that's just despicable.

I know this is opening up a can of worms, but as divers, I think we should be environmentally conscious.

Reactions: t4e
I agree with Doctorfish also if I am not mistaken the previous director of the Turtle farm was pissing away the 10 Million per year and lining his pockets with cash and toys with that money that was given to operate the facility and is now in jail.

Dive stingray city

not diving but we went to the sandbar with Sun Ray Tours and had a blast. They are a great outfit with smaller groups

Dive Sunset House and take in a sunset at either the bar or the pool or Sea harvest restaurant. The mermaid statue is an easy dive or snorkle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've dived and snorkeled stingray city, my personal choice is the dive. If you tire of the stingrays there are some coral heads nearby to observe, this would be on my list for first timers.
Definitely take Andys' rent a car, check out the beach around the island. Go to the South Sound, the East side beaches, go to Rum Point for a lunch snack. If you feel farther about discovering what's on GC, check out starfish beach - an area where some of the locals camp.
Go to "hell" and the turtle farm if you are inclined, no on the dolphin thing.
You must try to dive the north wall if weather permits, it's some of the best diving on GC.
Have a lunch at "my bar" (Sunset House).
The botanical park is good but not as necessary as diving. Do one night dive and take flashlights.
Normally I go to the Brac and GC or Little Cay, next year I'll be spending time on Grand Cayman not on the sisters.
Most of all enjoy yourselves, enjoy every dive, and each day at the beach. It is a bit more expensive than some islands, but not more money than nice places where you live.

Rum Point:

The East side:

Near Starfish point:

a piece of Seven Mile Beach:

Back
Top Bottom