First Trip to Australia??? Any Suggestions….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice is to take a 3 or 4 day liveaboard, you will not be sorry. We took a 4 night liveaboard out of Port Douglas thinking we never took one before and this way we could try it. It was an amazing experience and turned us to look at liveaboards as a viable option when we go to a dive area. Here are some of the images:
File0366.jpg

File0364.jpg

File0363.jpg
File0357.jpg

File0354.jpg
File0347.jpg

File0245-1.jpg
File0340.jpg

File0339.jpg
File0096.jpg

how exciting for you!

just keep in mind the ferals (ie children) school holiday are from late december to late January so everything is more expensive and crowded during this period, having your trip spill over to early feb should work better for you

sorry but i dont have any experience diving via cairns... australia diving is very expensive for us so we tend to head to the tropics

i will also suggest you look at webjet: Cheap Flights, Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar - Cheap Flights & Airfares - Compare Flights at Webjet - Webjet.com.au if you are planning any flights with australia as this site gives all the airlines on the one page which is helpful. webjet is my prefered site for flights

cheers

caymaniac, those are some fantastic pics. you must have quite the setup. Do you remember the name of the operator that you used? We are planning on visiting in the middle of march 09

caymaniac, those are some fantastic pics. you must have quite the setup. Do you remember the name of the operator that you used? We are planning on visiting in the middle of march 09

Thanks for the kudos on the pics.
The boat we used (the "Diversity") has been sold and is no longer available. We booked through Quicksilver/Pro-Dive. The farther north you go the better diving. Lizard Island and north should be your target for boat trips. I would seriously consider Mike Ball if I were you, you will experience a great trip...how many times will you ever get to Australia. We spent nearly two weeks on land and 4 nights at sea. There is plenty to see on land as well, and the Aussies are very friendly. We were asked by other local vacationers (Aussies) not to tip as it is not their custom, this was shockingly refreshing for us.

I don't think any Aussies would begrudge a tip as it would be a refreshing change for them...!

No, they told us they would be insulted as they don't want tipping to be part of there culture like it is in the U.S. They asked us kindly to "please do not tip"

No, they told us they would be insulted as they don't want tipping to be part of there culture like it is in the U.S. They asked us kindly to "please do not tip"

:wave:

whereas FairyBasslet was on the Nimrod last year and it had on the board with dive prices on it and it had a item for tipping :vomit: (i would have told them where to shove the board btw)

please do not tip! if someone wants to have a holiday working on a liveaboard then thats their choice and you shouldnt feel obligated to finance their choice of lifestyle

but

on the other hand... if we have a good time we usually do shout our fav dive pros a beer or 2

anyways, thats my 2c's as an aussie

Ok, I got it do not tip...... After reading more it seems that the really good trips go to the Coral Sea and the cheaper 2 night trips go to what they call the outer reef. Is the Coral Sea that much better? I think that 3 days of diving will be plenty for us because we want to spend lots of time experiencing the culture and everything else that Australia has to offer.

The Coral Sea and Ribbon Reefs are definitely that much better. Re: tipping, I am Australian and if I go to a restaurant and I think they have gone the extra mile...I tip. If the taxi driver is helpful, helps with my shopping bags...I tip. I have worked on liveaboards from backpacker orientated through to upmarket and it is HARD WORK, draining (mentally and physically), long hours, and a lot of time away from home. I always used to try and go the extra mile and when people showed their appreciation through a note, a gift, a special comment, that is when I knew it was appreciated and it encouraged me to keep doing it even if I was dog-tired. I have now given up the water (much as it saddens me) due to the time away from home, missed birthdays, missed Christmas's etc. Yes we do it for the diving, because we love it and what better job satisfaction then making someone's once in a lifetime holiday that much better...but if the crew do a good job, please let them know it however you feel appropriate!

I didn't make it to the Coral Sea due to boat problems but did the Ribbon Reefs further north. Definitely way better than what they call the "outer reef."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom