First trip to Maui in Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruchi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone

It is a pleasure joining scubaboard:)
My husband and I are going for our Honeymoon to Maui in Feb. This is our first trip to Hawaii.
He would like to get open water certification completed(he has completed his lessons in IL) in Maui. On researching a lot, I found a few good diving companies- however not sure which one to go with. We will be staying at a hotel in Kaanapali beach area.
I found Mike severns good, however they don't do open water certification, but only experienced divers. I then short listed B&B and Ed Robinson's, Maui scuba diving. On speaking to several diving companies I learned that they have banned certification dives in Molokini Crater(Lahaina divers wont take there), is that true? Also Extended Diving will give all 4 dives on the shore, no boat dive(thus we cancelled to go with them)Any recommendations on which one to go for??I would also like an Introductory dive, any suggestions on that??

I am also trying to search for a good company for Snorkel and whale watching.. I found pacific foundation and Pride of Maui with good reviews.. any suggestions on that??

I would really appreciate any response that could help me plan this trip further.

Thank you
Ruchi

When exactly do you get here? February is probably one of the busiest months of the year for diving/boat activities on Maui. Not only the touristas flock here.... so do the whales!!

PM me if you'd like info about what we can offer you down south by Wailea. It's worth the drive!

Aloha!

A couple of points.

First of all I don't think anyone certifies new divers at Molokini. The boats from Kihei leave early in the morning (to beat the tradewinds), get in two dives and return before it gets too rough so they really don't have time to do individual certs with a class of new divers. They likely do cert dives off the Maui coast in the afternoon - pretty typical.

Staying in Ka'anapali you're looking at a 45min.+ drive to Kihei for Robinson's or B&B. Since your husband will have to go twice over two days, that can get old fast. The only good thing is traffic won't be as bad in the PM. It's surprising how many people commute to work at the Ka'anapali resorts early in the morning (or maybe it's not...)

Lahaina Divers does their certification dives in the afternoon off Maui. "Turtle Town" is a generic term meaning you'll likely see turtles at the sites chosen. They'll be shallower sites off Maui - not Molokini. They also do their Discover Dives on the same trip so if you wanted to try it, you'd be in the same area as your husband - but likely not diving with him - you and the other DD divers (if there are any) will likely have your own instructor also. One nice thing about them is they have big boats with good swim platforms so entries/exits are easy. There's enough task loading on a new or non-certified diver without having to deal with entry/reboarding a smaller boat.

After he's certified if you wanted to go on a nice boat - and snorkel also - I'd recommend the Maui Diamond II - located in Ma'alea harbor - about 1/2 hr. south of Ka'anapali. They pick sites that are good for both. It's a 40' boat but they limit passengers to 18 max. on a boat sized for 24. I don't think they do certification dives but they do Discover Dives also. The morning Lahaina Divers trips can be pretty crowded in winter as seen on their webpage. Doug has a good point, you may want to pre-book now...

I recommend Doug^^ also for shore diving in the Kihei area - often...:wink:

One other small point - your husband is PADI trained right? If not the only SSI shop is Maui Dive Shop. If he's NAUI, he may need to do a universal referral - I don't think they have a presence on Maui except for maybe private instructors.

We did the Pride of Maui quite a few years ago. They go to Molokini and moor inside the crater. Your husband can dive while you snorkel (separate groups) if desired. They also do Discovery Dives. It's a real stable big boat, nice when the conditions are rougher coming back - the tradewinds do that most afternoons off Maui. The bbq is decent also, only the big catamarans offer that. If your intent is to see/interact with whales I think you might see/learn more on the Pacific Whale Foundation trips - they only snorkel (not with the whales). One small point I really liked is their props are shrouded so they can't harm the whales. A third option might be Trilogy - they sail over and back. Snorkel only also.

A nice dinner nearby is at Leilani's on the Beach. At Whalers Village near where you're staying - maybe walking distance. A really nice dinner is Mama's Fish House near Paia on the other side of the island. In February the big waves will mean surfers/kiteboarders out front there. The Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alea is worth a look also. The helicopter rides are a way to see parts of Maui not shore accessible - esp. the NE coastline. Or the ride over to Hana is also nice - better by helo than the 2+ hr. drive. Personally I found the Haleakala flyover the least interesting part. We've used - Blue Hawaiian Helicopters - Maui - twice.

hth,

Steve covered most of the diving items. Up in Kaanapali you have a lot of choices for food but try some of the smaller restaurants. Aloha Mixed Plate is one of our favorites for breakfast and lunch (up by Mala pier). There is also Fish Market Maui up toward Kahana, and a newer place Star Noodle up in a new industrial area of north Kaanapali, east of the Cannery Mall (where Safeway is). You are also very close to Maui Brewing Co up in Kahana who has great beer and good food. Hit The Gazebo up in Napili for breakfast (expect a wait). And if you have time for a drive up around the north end, make sure you find Auntie Julia's for the best banana bread made.

I would reconsider Lahaina Divers for completing your cert. Very close for you, and I think they allow snorkelers on the dive boats. Their boats are as easy to dive on as any.

Ill also recommend Lahaina Divers for your husband to complete his certification. They do an excellent job training and have an excellent Discover Scuba program as well. It'll be convenient for you from Kaanapali, the boat is super roomy and comfortable (even with 24 divers) since there are other places to hang out besides the main deck.

one of our favorite places to eat on Kaanapali Beach is Hula Grill at Whalers Village. I'll also second the Aloha Mixed Plate recommendation, and suggest the Lahaina Pizza Company for good food and great views, particularly for lunch.

Hey Doug-- thank you for your reply. We land Feb 16th, evening.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 08:40 PM ----------

Hey Steve- Thank you for your reply. I did speak to Lahaina Divers regarding the open water referral dives and they indicated that all there dives will be from the shore..no boat dive. Do you think it is worth the experience,not getting to dive from the boat?? also he has taken PADI lessons here. Thank you so much :)

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 08:41 PM ----------

Thank you Merxlin:) The only thing about Lahaina divers is that all there certification dives are from the shore. At this stage I am not sure if that is even worth bothering about...:)

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 08:43 PM ----------

Hey .. thank you for your response.. the only thing about Lahaina divers that I am not sure about is that all there certification dives are from the shore, no boat. At this stage I am not sure if that is something we should consider boat vs no boat and worry about..

Well if you decide to shore dive, call Shaka Doug, then go get your grinds at Kehei Caffe. If you leave hungry I'd be surprised.

How strange that Lahaina Divers would say the training dives are from shore. Every time we've done an afternoon charter with them to "Turtle Reef" we've had divers in training on the boat. Also, this is copied from their website and clearly says all dives are from their boat:

Retail Price: $299.00
Included: All rental equipment and four open water dives, done over two afternoons on our Turtle Reef Charter, to complete the open water training referral certification for PADI, NAUI, SDI, YMCA and Universal Referrals.

In the last two years I have dived with Lahina Divers, Extended Horizons, Shaka Doug, and Maui Diving & Scuba Center.
I did my OW and AOW at Maui Diving & Scuba, not to be confused with the chain of Maui Diving.
They do beach or charter on other boats. Only $189 for OW Padi.
website
Maui SCUBA CERTIFICATION Classes with PADI NAUI SDI TDI WASI SSI Advanced and Referral Certification SCUBA Lessons and Instruction at Kaanapali Beach Lahaina Molokini Lanai Kihei Wailea Specialty Scuba Courses Maui Hawaii

I have seen Lahina Divers dump off a boat load of divers at Mala Wharf and what appears to be instruction going on.
When I was there with MD&SC there were only four of us on a beach dive. Most of the good diving on Maui in on the Beach. Maly Wharf is a great dive, why pay 130 for the boat dive which will be shorter and more crowded on the bottom....

Back
Top Bottom