First trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for your answers, especially the tip on Delta through Atlanta! We can get there in 2 hops (Portland->Atlanta->RTB) for < half the price it takes us to get to Bonaire! yay! Looks like for various reasons we will go there the end of March - hopefully late enough to miss the rainy season.

What would you recommend for a wetsuit that time of year?

We've been twice, once in May and the other time was at the end of August, both times the water temps were from 82 to 84 degrees F. I wore a 1.5 mil and was comfortable. I did however encounter a few cool thermos. The only time you may get hot is on the swim in through the "Front Yard", the depth is from 5-10 feet.

The only time you may get hot is on the swim in through the "Front Yard", the depth is from 5-10 feet.

I'm sure I was sweating underwater, not kidding. In the spot you reference...

The AKR deal, is what it is... One doesn't typically go to AKR if your goal is to dive as cheaply as possible. One has to pay to play at AKR.. Also, keep in mind that CCV is on the south/windward side of the island in the summer time and you typically will have rougher seas and more wind. Many people like the dive sites on the north side of the island where ARK is located better too. CCV is also much further away from West End and West Bay, which is where many people like to go for night time entertainment, unless you just want to stay on the resort property.

I have been to Roatan three times this summer so far and will be going back for seven more weeks starting later this month. Anybody that wants to go to Roatan on the cheap, it's easy to find a place to stay in West End for $40-$50 per night and pay $25 per one tank boat dive. If you want to eat cheap, you can eat $1 baleadas for breakfast, lunch and dinner and throw in a few $1 Salva Vida beers after a fun day of diving.. haha..

So it all really just depends on what you're looking for!

Your getting screwed, They're only 12 lemp in most places

Not in West End or West Bay as recently as last Wednesday when I was there... Cindy's Place in West End is probably most popular and the "Simple Baleada" is $1 / 20 lmps.. Some of the others with more stuff cost more..

Not in West End or West Bay as recently as last Wednesday when I was there... Cindy's Place in West End is probably most popular and the "Simple Baleada" is $1 / 20 lmps.. Some of the others with more stuff cost more..

LOL, Notice I said "most places" Such as Flowers Bay, Coxens Hole, Pensicola, Gravel Bay, Sandy Bay French Harbor, Gibson Bight, Just to name a few, Of course West Bay will be more, heck I heard someone there sells them for like 5 dollars

And BTW , the "most popular" in one of the most touristy places on the Island is hardly indicative
of normal pricing, I know of at least two women in West End selling Balaedas for the going rate of 12 Lemp for typico bean and queso
There are also many options , albeit a bit rustic or dorm like for well under the 40-50 dollar a night range

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom