First wingless (pool) dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't really explain my interest. In terms of lack of BCs, I'd like the opportunity to improve my buoyancy control and weighting. In terms of regulators, I like the engineering elegance of something like the R109. In terms of backpacks and doublehose... the romance?

You can still look vintage however with a CO2 vest on also, and its a good backup if you need flotation. Same approach still used today by USN and other military. Friend of mine dove on Calypso expeditions for years, std op there was a basket of weights in water at 10 ft. Divers would trim as needed. My friend still doesnt use BCs.

Back in the 70's and early 80's I use to go to Bermuda alot with the Air Force so I always brought along my gear, 72's, reg., knife, mask and rockets. No BC, wet suit or weight belt and I was completely neutral. What a way to dive compared to 130s, dry suit with underware, 35-40 lbs of lead, Pony and all the other doe dads that I have to ware to do some of the diving I do now-a-days. If you are around warm water and can get your hands on a 72. try giving it a go, the next best thing to being a fish.
ZDD

Dove the breakwater last night with my aluminium backplate, an AL80 and 11# of lead. I started with 9#, but we dropped down into about eight feet of water and I was breathing so shallow that it sort of wasn't fun, so I had my girlfriend pass 2# over to me. Most of our dive was 10'-20', and I was okay from 2700-1400psi. I started to feel heavy around 20', but it wasn't too bad even to 31'. When we started ascending again I called it when we hit 7' because it was starting to be sort of a lot of work.

The biggest thing I noticed was that I was extremely head-down the entire dive. Also, the swim out was okay, but the swim back in wasn't much fun at all. Once I flipped off my back and snorkeled in it wasn't so bad, especially since the vis was crazy good and there was stuff to see. I think next time I'll wear less lead and make sure I drop into at least 20'.

Dove the breakwater last night with my aluminium backplate, an AL80 and 11# of lead. I started with 9#, but we dropped down into about eight feet of water and I was breathing so shallow that it sort of wasn't fun, so I had my girlfriend pass 2# over to me. Most of our dive was 10'-20', and I was okay from 2700-1400psi. I started to feel heavy around 20', but it wasn't too bad even to 31'. When we started ascending again I called it when we hit 7' because it was starting to be sort of a lot of work.

The biggest thing I noticed was that I was extremely head-down the entire dive. Also, the swim out was okay, but the swim back in wasn't much fun at all. Once I flipped off my back and snorkeled in it wasn't so bad, especially since the vis was crazy good and there was stuff to see. I think next time I'll wear less lead and make sure I drop into at least 20'.

Sounds like you're getting it!
Drop the tank down a bit, adjust the weight and get back in.
Trial and error, it's the only way.

Back
Top Bottom