"Fish Breathers" on the horizon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bodner (during interview):
Question: What about the scientific community, have you yourself been approached by scientists and so forth?

Bodner: Well I have, a few people do not understand the concept, they assume that I separate oxygen from the water and they say correctly that it is toxic below a depth of seven meters and then they ask some technical questions. In this case I want to say again, the device can extract air from the water. It is dissolved air which contains oxygen and nitrogen and so on. It does not extract oxygen from hydrogen.
He's not seperateing oxygen molecules, just dissolving the gas (air) that is in the water.

But if the molecules are not separated, then there is the potetial for breathing harmful gases disolved in the water you are diving in. It still seems to risky for me. There are some chemicals that are known to cause cancer even when their as minute in the parts-per-billion range. Granted, you shouldn't be diving in that water to begin with, but why have the potential to respirate harmful gases when fresh air sources are available?

Seems like too many more mechanical processes and now an introduced electrical process in the way of getting air into your lungs. I like the simplicity of a tank, first stage, and a second stage for dependency on air.

i want a backplate mounted fusion reactor that produces electricity to crack water into hydrogen and oxygen...

gotta do something about adding inert gas to 'cut' the O2 with, though... so i guess this is only a 50% improvement over a CCR rebreather since you're still going to want to take N2/He with you and scrub it and rebreathe it... and now you've got a CCR rebreather and a fusion reactor on your back...

I am taking it one would have to carry a battery charge guage so as to not deplete the battery 100% while on the dive?

Also, hate to see what happens if you wind up with a corroded battery terminal or leaking battery while on the dive.

If this ever became consumer-level, I would say it would be highly inadvisable to dive one without a backup gas supply...Spare Air? :D

*ducks flamethrowers*

He did mean oxygen. Using just a simple battery and two wires, you can seperate water into pure oxygen and hydrogen. We did this experiment is science class years ago.

jeraldjcook:
He did mean oxygen. Using just a simple battery and two wires, you can seperate water into pure oxygen and hydrogen. We did this experiment is science class years ago.

But if you read the inventor's quote above, he states expressly that he is not talking of separating water molecules into Hydrogen and Oxygen. He is talking of using a centrofuge to remove disolved air from the water. The battery is used to power the centrofuge, not to create a current to separate water molecules.

jeraldjcook:

Yes true, I'm sure you did. The point is why would you want pure H2 and O2? Pure O2 limits you to a ppO2 of 1.6atm ~ depth of 6m. It's the dissolved air you want, O2 plus N2. :14:

Ah, the way I read it was they were using the centrifuge to speed up the electolysis and therefore produce more oxygen. Electolysis I understand, but I don't understand how simply putting water in a centrifuge you are able to release oxygen. Nevermind, just got it. You are not using electolysis to produce the oxygen, the lower pressure releases the oxygen the water picked up on the surface. Just like fish in an aquarium don't use electolysis to get their oxygen, they use the surface oxygen that is dissolved into the water put there by the air pump or surface movement. Two completely different concepts.

jeraldjcook:
Ah, the way I read it was they were using the centrifuge to speed up the electolysis and therefore produce more oxygen. Electolysis I understand, but I don't understand how simply putting water in a centrifuge you are able to release oxygen. Nevermind, just got it. You are not using electolysis to produce the oxygen, the lower pressure releases the oxygen the water picked up on the surface. Just like fish in an aquarium don't use electolysis to get their oxygen, they use the surface oxygen that is dissolved into the water put there by the air pump or surface movement. Two completely different concepts.

Exacatacally. :D

Not that I would use the system anyways...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom